check box specs

Participant count
  • Participant list

the_flatlander
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Wisconsin
this is my first box I have designed and wondering if my math would be correct. 12" XXX box is crx style 4^3 tuned to 29hz, 52.5^2 of port area and port length is 36" here is a very crude MS Paint pic that I drew
box4tt.th.png'%20alt='box4tt.th.png'>

and it's all going in a '95 integra hatchback

I just checked it over REALLY quickly, but I get that the box is about 2.54 cubes tuned to 36-37Hz assuming a sub displacement of .2 cubes

Now, I didn't do hand calculations, and actually I just redid my excel calculator today so there could be bugs, but I think it's right.

Your box is 4.03 cubes gross. Now, what that means is that if it were a sealed box it would be 4 cubes. Being ported however, the NET volume is what matters. Net volume is that after all displacements, meaning the port, port wall, and driver.

From another quick calculation, to get a 4 cube box tuned to 29Hz, with that port dimension (3x17.5) you're looking at a box that is about 5.6 cubes gross.

They are not the same as yours //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

You did the port calculation correctly, for a box that was 4 cubic feet. The problem is that your box was not 4 cubes, it was ~2.5 because of port displacement, port wall displacement, and sub displacement which you did not take into account.

My port is the same as yours because that calculation was correct, with 52.2" of port area you need 36" in a 4 cube box to get a 29Hz tuning.

I just did all the math that takes some thinking for you, and extended the box as to fit your desired size/tuning. Now, I'm not sure that will fit in your application, may need to re-"shape" it, but that's an example of a 4 cube box tuned at 29Hz.

God I keep forgetting to check this thread.

For the total (gross) box volume, subtract 1.5 from all external dimensions and do L x W x H/1728 which will give you the volume in cubic feet of the enclosure.

Port displacement is a bit trickier. First you have to determine what length of the port is actually inside the box. For instance, the first .75" is usually the front baffle, and therefore not included in the displacement calculation. Once you determine how much of the length resides in the box then lwh and you've got the displacement.

The port wall displacement requires a true drawing of the box. You've got to take the actual volume of the wood that you use for the walls of the port. Again an easy calculation once you determine the lengths of any walls.

Driver displacement is a specification provided by the company that makes your sub. In general you can expect a 15 to displace somewhere around .2 ish, but should always check to make sure - if you want a really accurate box.

So what you want to do over all, is find out how much total displacement you're going to have, and "add" that to the volume you want your box to be. Then calculate dimensions that will give that new, increased, volume.

Be sure to check calculations at the end though because when you extend certain dimensions sometimes you change the wall displacement.

ok how about this one... 3.5^3 tuned to 28hz, port length 45.5" port area 52.5"2, dimensions lxDxH external- 31x19.98x15
I figure that that would give you a box ~2.44 cubes tuned 33-34Hz

Extend the external dimensions to 38.5 x 20 x 15 and you've got right around 3.5 tuned to 28Hz

EDIT: For bracing, calculate it as another displacement. Determine where you want braces, and of what size...then do the math again. All the calculations I've given you do NOT include bracing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.