Civic wall build. Shocker + JBL

hispls
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
My brother's car. Most equipment is here the last piece will be here Tuesday (when we hope to finish up).

Today we pulled all the seats, carpet, trim, and dash, ran most of the wires, and got battery storage almost figured out plus the first of the bracing for the wall cut. We have a lot to do and short days in which to do it. I'll take pictures as I can and probably update with more comments when everything is done.

You will see what equipment is going in as it goes in.

IMG_1241_zps2cxcaog8.jpg

IMG_1243_zps5ypx116f.jpg

IMG_1244_zpsfxhpxcti.jpg

IMG_1247_zpsmonkvkkw.jpg

IMG_1245_zps1rbozucb.jpg

In addition to trying to finish wiring (including battery bank), build a fuse block, finish the trunk, and hopefully get a good bit of the shell done I have these two big boys to deal with

IMG_1248_zpsrxqf3qn2.jpg

I butchered up two last weekend to put in the freezer that dressed out to about 40 pounds each. I suspect the big one here is going to be close to 50 pounds on the table. I'm very impressed with these birds. They were 1 week old July 1st and already probably too big to fit whole in an oven!

IMG_1253_zpsvdy0a6h3.jpg

The larger of these turkeys dressed out to a little over 50 pounds. Plucking went slow so we lost a bit of time there.

Also wiring up the battery bank was slow, but we got that done ran the rest of the wires to the back, built a fuse block, and started on the shell.

IMG_1255_zpsaeeiliv6.jpg

IMG_1252_zpsioug5fjk.jpg

IMG_1256_zpscstunakd.jpg

IMG_1260_zpsdbqtezan.jpg

Have you done anything additional to compensate for the increased weight of all the gear? Nice build though, that thing looks like its gonna be a beast!

What batteries are those ?
The small ones that Michael Lane has been selling here. Crazy space in the spare tire well so we may be trying to add another 6 or 8.

Have you done anything additional to compensate for the increased weight of all the gear? Nice build though, that thing looks like its gonna be a beast!
No, but it's not going to be a daily driver. He has 4 or 5 cars so this will be just to go to shows. I've seen guys with as much or more weight in small cars like this get by. I will update once everything is in.

Doors are a disaster and will not get finished before winter. Panels were wrecked when he got the car and I just don't have time to do anything proper. They'll be quick and dirty and some other stuff will probably be left unfinished but we expect to have it playing music Tuesday night when the big amp gets here.

Tuned in. That's a **** ton of batteries
Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk
You haven't seen the amps yet....

IMG_1267_zpsgwttbtqr.jpg

IMG_1266_zpsthuybk4d.jpg

IMG_1269_zps7unwljyr.jpg

IMG_1269_zps7unwljyr.jpg

Finished wiring under the hood, to the back and got the dash put back together. I painted the wood on the fuse block and plasti dipped the aluminum so that it wouldn't be just a huge live buss bar... and also just for looks.

Nice little pocket under the deck so I gave him my old Zed Ra V1. I get a lot of use out of mine for the crossover and pre-amp functionality alone.

We mounted the sides and finished the skeleton of the back of the box. Back walls are cut and ready to glue up tomorrow.

All that's really left is to wire up the fuse block and amps, finish the box, and build the baffle and mount the subs. We're hoping to do all or at least most of that tomorrow since both of us need to split Wednesday morning for Thanksgiving festivities. Anything we can't get done will have to wait until spring.

This has the potential to be quite the striptease. Hope you two get it knocked out tomorrow. What did you use for battery hardware/lugs?
Those batteries take 6mm bolts so just the 30 cent ones from the bin at the local hardware store. 1/0 gauge ring terminals that come in 20 packs on Amazon fit the 2/0 gauge welding cable with a little work so we just bought a pile of those and jumped everything. It was labor intenstive but I figured the wire was cheap and it would be simpler and neater than trying to rig up buss bar due to the shape of the tops of the batteries.

Anyway, all that's left is to wire up the amps and put the seats back in in the morning then we're up and running...... sort of.

The door panels were wrecked when he bought the car so those are hanging on by a thread. We put a set of components in the stock location and one in the holes that were already carved in his doors. Next year we will fiberglass the door panels and add more speakers. The amp is like 1600W X 2 or something rediculous so for now we're running 8 ohm and going to keep the gain dialed way down. Really the ONLY reason we bought this amp was for cosmetics... They make a cute couple!

Baffle is not lined up right since we have it temped up with just some foam weather stripping and long screws. I suspect that 3 subs along the bottom and a top port will work better in the shape/space we wound up with. I have no idea where tuning is going to come in and this does need to be musical.

Sealing around the sides of the box will have to wait and he has ordered a new carpet because his was pretty well ruined from him leaving a window down last week. We may also need more batteries and I definitely want to see a voltage display up front (we ran wire for it).

Subs are some Shocker Sig 12's with all American made softparts. I forgot to take pics of them as we were going today but I have some on my phone I'll upload later perhaps.

IMG_1270_zpsjsyxfcat.jpg

IMG_1271_zpstbxyxwl1.jpg

Again. Dismal door locations but the doors came with gaping holes there so we filled them. I really like these JBL components for the money.

IMG_1275_zpslbz1szos.jpg

IMG_1276_zpsgighzev8.jpg

IMG_1277_zps8bgdwwaj.jpg

IMG_1278_zps5hfnsztl.jpg

IMG_1274_zpsudcuu30n.jpg

So I gave my brother the friends and family price on my old JBL/Crown a6000gti. Like I said, the "small" JBL/Crown 2 channel makes for a really nice look AND using JBL components really keeps with the theme.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.