coaxials vs 2-way component set using factory tweeter mounting

Participant count
  • Participant list

fazio93
10+ year member

N/A
i have a kicker cvr 15 in a ported enclosure @32hz with a kenwood 8104d. everything else is stock. i want to upgrade just my front speakers and leave the rears stock connected to the HU because the sub will over power them anyway.

originally i planned on getting a decent pair of coaxials and a second amp (2 channel or 4 channel to bridge). however, my 05 corolla came with stock tweeters in the sail panel. i've read that a good set of coaxials with the same quality as a pair of decent components usually end of costing around the same anyway. i would go with the coaxials if there weren't these factory tweeter mount locations available because i don't want to custom mount them. however, if i utilize these locations and just swap the tweeters out, i would prefer that. the only problem is i'm not sure about finding a 2-way component set that guarantees the new tweeters will fit and/or be able to be mounted using the factory mounting. here's what it looks like:

View attachment 26552517View attachment 26552516View attachment 26552515

does anyone have experience with doing this or know if this can be done?

i also plan to get stinger road kill sound deadening for the two front doors and trunk lid.

thanks

In my eclipse I used some heavy duty velcro strips to attach my tweeters to the stock location. Never budged one bit in the 3 or so years I ran it like that. As long as the tweeters aren't too deep I don't see why you couldn't do the same

i removed the stock tweeter. it's secured by a simple threaded insert so any aftermarket tweeter with a screw hole should be able to mount right to the stock bracket.

the tweeter is .75" deep and 1.375" wide. i believe it goes flush against the cover though. would most tweeters fit this?

View attachment 26552519View attachment 26552518

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.