con"fused"

Participant count
  • Participant list

da12b
10+ year member

I read that if you're using a 4 ga power cable it should have a max fuse rating of 125A. I also heard that you should fuse the power cable according to the amp fuse rating. Eg. my amp has (3) 25 amp fuses, total 75 amps. I have a 60 amp AGU inline fuse within 18 in. of the battery. Is the correct? I'm going to change the "BIG 3" also. I have changed the battery neg. to chassie and chassie to engine with a 4 ga cable and it has helped a bit.

Let me know of your opinion on the power cable fuse. (1) Fused for the cable or (2) fused for the amp.

If you haven't blown the 60a fuse there's no reason to change anything at all. Don't make it harder than it has to be. The fuse is there to protect the wire, so you don't want a higher fuse value than the wire's ampacity of 125 amps. You don't want a smaller fuse than the maximum current draw of the amplifier or you may blow fuses under normal use; that's usually estimated by the total fuse rating on the amplifier. You can use any fuse between those values.

However, most amplifiers won't draw anywhere near their theoretical maximum current under normal use, so there's a good chance a smaller fuse will work just fine. Basically, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

da12b

10+ year member
da12b
Maui, Hawaii
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from