Damping?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Geminidj2000
10+ year member

The Bad Luck Kid
Denver
Im gonna be dampining my explorer in 3 weeks from now(maybe next week depending on how much the CEL is to get fixed)

What all do i need?

Ive bought regular second skin before but how are the other products becauase im definitly getting second skin again

Im thinking 100 Sq. Ft. is that enough for an explorer?

ill prolly get 4 door kits and 4 speaker kits (even tho im preaty sure i wont put any speakers in back except for mid bass drivers)

How much paint thinner should i get? I wanna do this right

and last but not least what toolds will i need? I know ill need a door panal remover and both screw drivers and what else will i need?

and last but not least what will i do about gorund point right now its under my back seat but im gonna be putting damping material there

opps sorry 1 more is it better to use strips of the damping material or sheets? and is it better to over lap or pput the sheets side too side with the second layer covring the lines?

sorry i asked so much but i wanna make sure because damping material not only improves sq but it improves ride quality so i wanna make sure i do it right

I would buy a gollon of acetone or paint thinner.

you will also need a healthy supply of blades, 2 rollers from the wallpaper section of home depot, and Make sure you do this in a well ventelated area. Use a fan if you can.

1. Get some LINT FREE towels. I get mine from a janitorial supply shop.

2. Vaccume (shop-vac) the bare metal of the trunck to get all the dirt and fluff out.

3. soak the LINT FREE towel in paint thinner. and rub the hell out of the mounting surface

4. let dry for 10 minutes & go over it with a dry LINT FREE towel again.

5. use an air compressor to blow over the entire surface.

6. repeate steps 3, 4, & 5 using a different, clean LINT FREE towel each time.

7 install material

this is how I do it, and it works very well.

when applying the material it is best to not have the damper over lap, but it is very hard to do that throughout an entire auto. so just use the roller and apply as much pressure as you can to the seam where they meet. you want as much of the metal covered as possible. When damping verticle surfaces, start at the bottom then work your way up.

hope this all helps

ANT

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Geminidj2000

10+ year member
The Bad Luck Kid
Geminidj2000
Denver
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date