Difficulties with amp?

Let me begin with, I am happy to be a part of the community, and glad I can provide service at time. This is my first post, and am just now starting to get into an audio system. Just bought a new car, and along with that a system, and am trying to accustom myself accordingly. Thanks and I appreciate all your guys' help/input in advance! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/clap.gif.178cba2c538c68e720c727fcb024b19c.gif

So I recently purchased a new system from my neighbor, (along with a car; '97 Saturn sl2 first car!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/graduate.gif.d982460be9f153bb54e5d4cb744f6ae8.gif) I do not have full details, but know the amp is an x file audio xr1800d 1800W amp. There is 2x 10'' Tweeters, and 2x 12'' subs, along with a Sony deck. (Can provide more detailed info. if needed) When I turn on the car the amp automatically turns on accompanied by a loud "Thump" This isn't just a startup/shutdown thump. This thump persists every time I; change sources, change track (on cd,), surf radio channels. We have tried regrounding and RCA cables. Also, a problem we are having with the vehicle is there are not many places to ground the speakers, any tips for that also? Any help or ideas you guys could have us try would be great, and again, thanks in advance!

Note: I know my neighbor isn't trying to rip me off, as he is coming over and trying his best to help and is baffled by it too. Offering to try his other amp and see if that would fix the problem, it's just higher end so more money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me begin with, I am happy to be a part of the community, and glad I can provide service at time. This is my first post, and am just now starting to get into an audio system. Just bought a new car, and along with that a system, and am trying to accustom myself accordingly. Thanks and I appreciate all your guys' help/input in advance! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/clap.gif.178cba2c538c68e720c727fcb024b19c.gif

So I recently purchased a new system from my neighbor, (along with a car; '97 Saturn sl2 first car!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/graduate.gif.d982460be9f153bb54e5d4cb744f6ae8.gif) I do not have full details, but know the amp is an x file audio xr1800d 1800W amp. There is 2x 10'' Tweeters, and 2x 12'' subs, along with a Sony deck. (Can provide more detailed info. if needed) When I turn on the car the amp automatically turns on accompanied by a loud "Thump" This isn't just a startup/shutdown thump. This thump persists every time I; change sources, change track (on cd,), surf radio channels. We have tried regrounding and RCA cables. Also, a problem we are having with the vehicle is there are not many places to ground the speakers, any tips for that also? Any help or ideas you guys could have us try would be great, and again, thanks in advance!

Note: I know my neighbor isn't trying to rip me off, as he is coming over and trying his best to help and is baffled by it too. Offering to try his other amp and see if that would fix the problem, it's just higher end so more money.
I'm not sure if this applies to Sony headunits as well, but I know some pioneer headunits have grounding issues with their RCA's. I believe this may contribute to your 'thumping' issue. Try wrapping some copper around the RCA's and wrap it around a screw on the headunit, like this:

4IGuiJW.jpg

I am fairly certain that it is a grounding issue. Try what I mentioned above, and check all other grounds. Amp should be grounded to chassis, make sure it is a CLEAN surface. Meaning it should not just be screwed down to a painted surface, use sandpaper/grinder/dremel to clean up the area if you have to.

Thanks for the reply!!

I have 3 of the inputs for the RCA's would I wrap copper around all of them? I only use the middle set though so could I just do the middle one and be okay or? And with the RCA plugged in it still has room to be on there? The copper doesn't obstruct the plug itself in any way? Also to say, we tried different RCA cords to no avail. All responses are greatly appreciated, but don't wanna do much to it considering it's 2 am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad ground or the amps no good. The xfile amp is a bit so good amp btw. Hope you didn't pay much for thd system also what size is the power and ground wires ?

are the rcas ran by ur power or ground wire? a buddy of mine had this same problem. i found that he had used the power wire to thread the rcas remote wire and all under his carpet to the back. separated them to opposite sides and bingo.

We aren't able to ground to the chassis, didn't find a good place in the trunk to find a place its on a bolt of scrap memetal. If need be I can take pictures etc of the setup. Let me know //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/clap.gif.178cba2c538c68e720c727fcb024b19c.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.