Do extra batteries help? Help a bass head solve this

axeshredder
10+ year member

I have pretty good power source, but.......................Have 2 Jl 750 hd amps, and a jl 600 hd amp. 2 hd's run w7's and 600 runs 4 speakers. Have a 200 amp alt, and an optima battery. Problem is that on bass heavy songs, at around 26 to 27 volume (which is f-ing loud btw, the voltage level gets to low to power one or more amps. This only happens at high volume, and no, I'm not idling when it happens, but I also don't want to have to stay above 3500rmps to keep system going, or light from blinking. LOL. So what will help?

since you already have Optima, I'd add another decent sized Optima Yellow top in the back unless you have the funds for 2. that should do pretty good for you. also is that 200a alt factory or is it an upgraded one?

Did you do the big three? Are all off your grounds good? How big is your power wires? Are you clipping the amps even slightly?

What kinda music do you listen to and what kinda box?

I only ask that because in my case my alt provided plenty of power during low frequency bass due to the efficiency of the box at those low frequencies, but at higher frequencies the amp would draw more power and cause voltage drop. Since I mostly listen to really low bass I only need the extra juice for the brief times of upper spectrum bass. This is where the battery helps since it was only used for short amounts of time it could recharge during the time in which it wasn't needed. Adding a batt to my system helped drastically but this is very rare.

Most of the time adding a battery only allows the voltage to drop to 12.4-12.8v where it sits until its drained or the system stops drawing power off of it in which case it would return to charging voltage most commonly 14.4

If you have everything else in good shape I would recommend a secondary battery or to at least get the under hood battery tested and replaced if bad

k, with the recent info you have. I'd get a good OFC 1/0 to do Big 3 and do a single run to the back with that same 1/0 with 1 Optima Yellow top, you'll be straight after that. The 2 gauge you are using isn't enough for the current draw you have, 1/0 probably isn't either but 2 runs of 1/0 isn't going to help as much as having another battery in the back. if you can do 1/0 gauge to each amp or a good 4 gauge OFC should be enough.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.