Door panels: carpet or paint? pics!

ContourSPL
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Paoli, IN
I've ran into a dilemma. I don't know if I should carpet my door panels or if I should just go ahead and paint them. I kind of like the look of carpeted doors like some competitors use... I have quite a bit of black carpet lying around and I think paint wouldn't be as durable since door panels can flex from every day use and it's kind of tedious prepping plastic for paint.

Four 6.5's are going in each door.

passenger side:

5410_517455270431_210002435_31213419_5251127_n.jpg

5410_517455275421_210002435_31213420_1488817_n.jpg

Panels look good, I'm looking to glass me some pods in the very near future and was gonna go with paint or vinyl. Then Again, the pods are no where near the amount of space that you have to cover. I'd carpet the bottom up to where the curve is and paint the top. Just my opinion.

I thought about doing something like that. I would have to make it to were the carpet kind of flowed well. I don't want it to be carpet then paint, it would need some kind of barrier to sort of seperate the carpeted section from the painted section.

^yeah. My inspiration for carpeting them came from trucks like Neil Barber's. I think he used tweed or some other material though.

Its you.

Id go with paint. Maybe wrap it carpet, then vinyl over that? Either way, carpeted doors look kinda ghetto IMO.

On mine we did carpet, then put vinyl over that to give the softer feeling. This is how mine came along... Using the carpet underneath the vinyl saves alot of body work. Bondoed mine a little bit and sanded them pretty smooth (but nothing like you would need for paint or just vinyl), then went ahead with the wrap.

Bare door.

0331091449_01.jpg

Carpeted door.

0421091853.jpg

0421091853a.jpg

Door in vinyl wrap process.

0429092019_01.jpg

Finished door bottom.

0502091722_01.jpg

If I had the skills to vinyl ( not idea how to get the curves and such without wrinkles) Id do that

In youre case, Id go carpet if its a nice looking soft carpet (generic speaker box carpet would be fine)

Paint isnt that durable and would wear, chip and scratch very easy in that scenerario as its also being touched picked smacked

I thought about doing something like that. I would have to make it to were the carpet kind of flowed well. I don't want it to be carpet then paint, it would need some kind of barrier to sort of seperate the carpeted section from the painted section.
I agree, that would be my only concern, would be how to make it flow from carpet to paint, which I have no idea how you would accomplish that. GMonkey your doors look great.

Yes, I like those doors a lot. I wish I had an air compressor and some upholstery glue and a spray gun //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I guess I should hold off a little while and get some vinyl and buy a new heat gun. I never thought about putting vinyl on them and the carpet idea would be great to have that soft feel to it so I could carpet my doors and vinyl them later......

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.