Egg Carton Foam Question

HPIM1547.jpg
yum. Exclusives.

Im a noob when it comes to slopes and crossover points. So im not sure where Imprint set them at.
I would investigate that first. The Imprint settings may be what is causing the reduction in midbass output. Either via crossover point/slope, or it EQ'd too much out of the midbass.

If you did as pictured, then the install should be relatively solid. I'm not overly familiar with the CTX mids....being they are an entry level offering, you may simply be expecting too much out of them. I know some people weren't happy with the midbass output of the CX mids.

IMO, the imprint *****.. probably good for those who doesn't know how to tune for ****... which might be 80-90% (conservative figures) of the folks here.

Interesting how the visual memory works, but I swear that's a picture of cam2xrunner's truck from back in the day. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/redface.gif.62fdbfe1a101588a808c4cff71bcb942.gif

If you take an empty 5 gallon pail and yell into it, it's probably going to sound different if you put a Deflex pad in the bottom of it. All you have to do to hear when it becomes less and less effective is lower your voice. Crude experiment, but some people need to do this because all the science in the world will not convince them.

Same thing for closed cell foam. I can see it "softening" and otherwise hard surface, but to say that it's absorbing sound is a big stretch. Open cell foam can and does absorb sound waves because it's porous. But, absorption is velocity dependent and OCF that close to the the back of a driver isn't going to much of anything because the wave really hasn't gained much oomph. I've never liked the sound of any driver with OCF behind it. And, if a guy like John Krutke (Zaph Audio) who analyzes speakers and build enclosures says OCF is whack, I think that says a lot.

Interesting how the visual memory works, but I swear that's a picture of cam2xrunner's truck from back in the day. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/redface.gif.62fdbfe1a101588a808c4cff71bcb942.gif
If you take an empty 5 gallon pail and yell into it, it's probably going to sound different if you put a Deflex pad in the bottom of it. All you have to do to hear when it becomes less and less effective is lower your voice. Crude experiment, but some people need to do this because all the science in the world will not convince them.

Same thing for closed cell foam. I can see it "softening" and otherwise hard surface, but to say that it's absorbing sound is a big stretch. Open cell foam can and does absorb sound waves because it's porous. But, absorption is velocity dependent and OCF that close to the the back of a driver isn't going to much of anything because the wave really hasn't gained much oomph. I've never liked the sound of any driver with OCF behind it. And, if a guy like John Krutke (Zaph Audio) who analyzes speakers and build enclosures says OCF is whack, I think that says a lot.

Yes they are Cams pics. I just used his walk through from toyotanation and i did the same thing to my truck. I just dont have pics of my work.

Do you recommend me cutting out a pattern for a deflex pad behind my driver?

I would investigate that first. The Imprint settings may be what is causing the reduction in midbass output. Either via crossover point/slope, or it EQ'd too much out of the midbass.
If you did as pictured, then the install should be relatively solid. I'm not overly familiar with the CTX mids....being they are an entry level offering, you may simply be expecting too much out of them. I know some people weren't happy with the midbass output of the CX mids.

Whats the average midbass frequency range?

Ive had some Focals in there before which ran my 300+ i know they arent high end speakers but the ID's sound so much better.

IMO, the imprint *****.. probably good for those who doesn't know how to tune for ****... which might be 80-90% (conservative figures) of the folks here.
I actually get better midbass with imprint and a more balance feel to my music than me tweaking it myself. But then again i dont know **** about eqing.

I notice with imprint that my driver side has more midbass than my right, but this is probably because i had the mic read the driver side. I might try another mic read and have it eq the center of my cab. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I actually get better midbass with imprint and a more balance feel to my music than me tweaking it myself. But then again i dont know **** about eqing.
I notice with imprint that my driver side has more midbass than my right, but this is probably because i had the mic read the driver side. I might try another mic read and have it eq the center of my cab. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
that's because the lame imprint T/A the system to have all the speakers have equal distance from the listening position... which will put the center image right in front of you, where it doesn't belong.

that's because the lame imprint T/A the system to have all the speakers have equal distance from the listening position... which will put the center image right in front of you, where it doesn't belong.
Hello Pioneer, that's why auto-eqing blows. Thank you.

For a competition system, the rules agree with you. For a system built for personal listening pleasure, I completely disagree.

For example, I spend 99% of my time in my car by myself and I don't compete so why would I set it up to where stage center is to my right if I could set it up to be directly in front of me? On the rare occasions that I do have someone else in the car, it's either a friend and the stereo is turned way down so we can carry on a conversation or it's my wife who wouldn't notice the difference if I demonstrated it to her (which I did in the last car, lol). With the main goal of pleasing myself (so to speak) in mind, centering the image on the center of the dash instead of in front of me is akin to paying for premium concert tickets and choosing to sit 5th row outside section when 5th row center seats were available for the same price.

For example, I spend 99% of my time in my car by myself and I don't compete so why would I set it up to where stage center is to my right if I could set it up to be directly in front of me? On the rare occasions that I do have someone else in the car, it's either a friend and the stereo is turned way down so we can carry on a conversation or it's my wife who wouldn't notice the difference if I demonstrated it to her (which I did in the last car, lol). With the main goal of pleasing myself (so to speak) in mind, centering the image on the center of the dash instead of in front of me is akin to paying for premium concert tickets and choosing to sit 5th row outside section when 5th row center seats were available for the same price.
Where is the left boundary of your stage? 3' outside the pillar? How about the right side boundary?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.