Enclosure Design for 12" Alpine Type E (SWE-1243)

Participant count
  • Participant list

1984rampage
10+ year member

SRQ
Vehicle : 1987 Shelby GLHS - small 2 door hatchback

Location in the vehicle: In the hatch/trunk area

Space available (Length x Width x Height): Plenty

Subwoofer make and model: Alpine SWE-1243

Subwoofer Size: 12"

Number of Subwoofers: 1

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): ???

What type of music do you like?: Dubstep, House, Rap

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: Everyday Driver

Tuning Freq (Hz): ???

Volume : ???

Questions:

Im a complete noob to car audio, looking to put my first system together. Picked up a new in box Alpine SWE-1243 subwoofer off of craigslist for a good deal and am having trouble designing an enclosure as I have no idea what is optimal for this subwoofer.

The subwoofer will be placed in the rear of the vehicle and powered by a PPI PC250 amp, giving it an underrated 200 watts RMS.

I am open to either a sealed or ported enclosure as I'm not sure what is better for the subwoofer and the kind of music I like to listen to.

When I tried modeling the subwoofer in a few online calculators they always came back recommending like 8 cubic feet for a sealed enclosure or something ridiculous as optimal, soo I'm pretty sure I was doing something wrong.

Anyway, I could really appreciate some advice on what to do with this sub!

Thanks,

James

you are fairly locall to me ...you planning to build this your self?..if not ....i can meet you and build it out of the Crescendo Audio warehouse (in SRQ)....

all that said what power ? what amp ?
It was listed in the post, should probably highlight it lol.. "PPI PC250 amp, giving it an underrated 200 watts RMS"

I'm actually from SRQ, go to school in Orlando. Looking to build it myself, just not sure where to start!

well in that case this one should suit you well ....ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

is a little over sized but you should be good ...

if you want to stay closer to the manufactuers specs (1.4 tuned to 35hz) than look @ some others that have been provided here

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/enclosure-design-construction-help/137804-free-box-plans.html
Thanks for the help! Just wondering, where did you find what was recommended by the manufacturer? Also what are the specs on the box you linked me too?

In the manual it recommends this:

PIC_zpsa662cb28.png

Its the specs on the right hand column for the 12"

was wrong link @ 1st...... 2 is way too big......srry since you will be close to rec power just build to rec specs 1,25 ish tuned to 32

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.