equivalent awg for 41/0.20mm speaker wire?

Participant count
  • Participant list

RSDXzec
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Australia
I can find awg to diameter tables online but here i'm given the size and number of the strands of the wires. Now with that I can easily calculate the equivalent area, then find the diameter i would need for that area. Problem is that doesn't account for the air space between the wire so the calculations would be useless.

I bought 4 metres of this wire a couple of days ago for my sub and i'd like to know what the equivalent awg would be.

Cheers.

It's about 16 gage AWG
16 42/32 0.0080" per strand (about .2mm)
hmmm ok thanks

well I have 3 identical 12"s and I only had 2 speaker wires so I went out and bought that for the third.

If it is 16awg then I have 2 subs on 5 metres of 18 awg and one on 4 metres of 16 awg.

with 333wrms going to each 4 ohm sub would I have a problem there?

Do all subs need to have the same wire to net the same impedance? (obviously it does but is it significant enough to need better wire)

300watts on 18awg.... cutting it close id double it up.
from my maths i'd be pushing 9 amps through each one which shouldn't be too bad.

in parallel

I=sqrt(1000/1.34)

Current to each sub = I/3 = 27.31/3 =9.1Amps

afaik 18 awg can take a bit more than that, just wanted to know if the voltage difference between 18 to 16 awg would push more power to one sub than the others.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.