father-in-law cut factory harness...

30hrtz
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Hope everyone had a great easter.I went to the enlaws for dinner and it was great.Since my wifes dad knew I had been in and out of car audio for a long time,he asked me to see if i could figure out how to get his new aftermarket cd player to work.He couldnt seem to get the speakers to work,so as soon as i looked in the dash,Isaw that he had cut the factory harness out.He had power ,ground,and turn on all working,but no sound thru the 8 tiny wires that were wrapped inside a blue cable.He didnt know he could buy a wire harnes for the truck,so we messed with it for a while and couldnt get it to work.He had destoyed the factory plug that went into the ford deck,so we couldnt go back to that,so can anyone tell me how to find out wich wires will work the speakers and why we cant get any readings on the 8 wires,no ohms or no popping with the battery testing either. Its a 93 ford ranger.I guess i will do a google search and maybe find the wiring diagram for a 1993 ford ranger.thanks for any help.

whip out a DMM.

Seems like you've located the the 8 speaker wires, wire up the power wires all correct if you know them, turn the car on, and start finding 12v pairs

dude the speakers are the easiest part once you've got the power and ground here are the wires and what they are for Black Wire - Ground

Black With White Stripe Wire - Right Rear Speaker

Light Blue With Red Stripe Wire - From Light Switch To Radio (light) (Headlights)

Light Green With Yellow Stripe Wire - Hot At All Times To Radio

Orange With Black Stripe Wire - From Light Switch To Radio (Light) (Parking)

Orange With Red Stripe Wire - Right Rear Speaker

Red Wire - To Ground With Black Wire

Yellow With Black Stripe Wire - Hot In Accessory Or Run To Radio

(With Convenience Power Group)

Dark Green With Orange Stripe Wire - Right Door Speaker

Light Blue With White Stripe Wire - Left Door Speaker

Orange With Light Green Stripe Wire - Left Door Speaker

White With Light Green Stripe Wire - Right Door Speaker

(Without Convenience Power Group)

Dark Green With Orange Stripe Wire - Right Door Speaker

Light Blue With White Stripe Wire - To Dark Green With Orange Stripe Wire To Left Door Speaker

Orange With Light Green Stripe Wire - To White With Light Green Wire To Left Door Speaker

Pink With Light Green Stripe Wire - Left Rear Speaker

Tan With Yellow Stripe Wire - Left Rear Speaker

White With Light Green Stripe Wire - Right Door Speaker

If they don't pop, you've either got the wrong wires, or there's a factory amp. Reach down a little further in the dash and see if there is a flat black plug that looks like the grey one. I know he snipped the harness, but if it has the one I'm talking about, it's buried down in the dash, so it's probably in tact.

thanks for all the responses,this will no doubt help.I had also thought that maybe there was a factory amp,not sure though.I guess I wont know anything til this weekend when I can get back over there.Thanks DB-Audio for the detailed wire descriptions.will keep yall posted on what I find.thanks again.

If you need more wiring info,

techservices.audiovox.com

or

techservices.codesystems.com

They have different information, but typically the audiovox one is better.

Login DIY

Password 852

Feel free to use it as you need.

thanks for all the responses,this will no doubt help.I had also thought that maybe there was a factory amp,not sure though.I guess I wont know anything til this weekend when I can get back over there.Thanks DB-Audio for the detailed wire descriptions.will keep yall posted on what I find.thanks again.
no problem

oh ya, the wires are so tiny,it almost has to be a factory amp in there.Ive never seen speaker wire that small.maybe I can get over there tomorrow and check it out,Im very curious now with the info You guys have given me.

If they were wrapped in a blue plastic sheathing and wrapped in what looks like aluminum foil they are certainly a factory amp.

Whoever said there was another harness could very well be correct. It is a Metra part number 1770 to help you reference what it looks like.

ya justin....thats exactly what it is.I knew I could count on yall.So if i can get to the other side of the amp,disconnect it and use those wires,(speaker wires) I should be good right?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.