Feel that subs are greatly underpowered.

Alex Leslie

CarAudio.com Recruit
So I have 2 sundown dvc 4 ohm u series 12’s 1500 watts a piece and a sundown sia 3500 watt amp rated at 1 ohm. I have them wired to 1 ohm to get that peak power but feel that it’s very underpowered and don’t know where I went wrong. From my understanding they should absolutely slam with this setup. My friend has the same subs in about a 5 cubic foot box and is powering the subs with only 1200 watts instead of my 3500 and he’s also running 2 dvc 4 ohm to 1 ohm at the amp. So he’s running at half power and his system slams probably 3 times harder if not more. I have a temporary box they are in that isn’t the most suitable for the subs. It’s about 3.5 cubic feet out of the minimum 4 cubic feet needed and it’s tuned to 32 hertz. It was a last minute super fast box build, and has like a 3 inch slotted port that kerfs which is not recommended but it is temporary. I have a big 3 that’s 0 gauge and all the power wire is 0 gauge. I have stock alternator still but have a replacement for it just need to install it. I have a pretty big reserve battery as well and voltage is always consistent. my speaker wire is one thing I thought could be the issue because going from my subs to amp and amp to head unit is 16 gauge and I could go to 8 gauge but from my understanding power only drops ab 200 watts from 8 to 16 gauge. I either think it’s that or possibly the box, but it doesn’t make sense bc it seems underpowered and not restricted from airflow. The only other thing I could think is that I may have wired the ohm load wrong but pretty positive I didn’t Mess that up. Made sure to do 4 ohm to a final 1 ohm. I just don’t know why my system with what I have sounds so underpowered because I’ve heard these subs just destroy on other peoples setups with what seems to be less power. If anyone has any ideas as to what could be wrong the feedback is appreciated.

Post pics of the box as it sits in the vehicle.
Here are some pictures. I’d also like to mention I did earlier rewire my subs to 1 ohm. I definitely had it wrong however I had it but it didn’t increase a whole lot of power but definitely noticeably louder they flex a lot better too . I know wiring is messy but this was all supposed to be temporary. and from what I know having this little airspace for the subs can dramatically decrease the performance almost half the output of the potential that I could have right now.

Attachments

• 07E6B110-35E2-4F04-975F-CD13BBC3D5B9.jpeg
    07E6B110-35E2-4F04-975F-CD13BBC3D5B9.jpeg
    941.1 KB · Views: 36
  • C35235E2-D71C-4800-BD82-3778E4514B2B.jpeg
    C35235E2-D71C-4800-BD82-3778E4514B2B.jpeg
    952 KB · Views: 39
  • 51C06B94-57BA-48CD-BA36-AEA7133F3DB4.jpeg
    51C06B94-57BA-48CD-BA36-AEA7133F3DB4.jpeg
    858.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 022E6D02-D49B-43D1-8B58-A56DE71E93E3.jpeg
    022E6D02-D49B-43D1-8B58-A56DE71E93E3.jpeg
    773.8 KB · Views: 34
Here are some pictures. I’d also like to mention I did earlier rewire my subs to 1 ohm. I definitely had it wrong however I had it but it didn’t increase a whole lot of power but definitely noticeably louder they flex a lot better too . I know wiring is messy but this was all supposed to be temporary. and from what I know having this little airspace for the subs can dramatically decrease the performance almost half the output of the potential that I could have right now.
Looks like the Enclosure needs to be sealed more. All Screw holes on enclosure need be siliconed at the min or Saw dust Mixed with Wood glue or Wood Putty. Seal all Joints also. along the edges. Not the Best wood for Acoustics. MDF or Birch Ply or 3/4 Plywood would be much better than The Pressed Ply sheet( Not very Rigid and quite flexable with air movement and Pressure). Im sure that box is doing some Flexing, and you may be loosing some air./ having Air leakage possibly. Do yourself a favor.. Get a Fuse in place of that power wiring from that battery to that amp. That will run you approx $30 if you go Cheap off of GP Audio and OFC.While you are there.. Look at getting a Glue and Screw Enclosure Kit Tuned for those subs . The Port and Box you have it the Main Culprit at this time.Look way too small as well for the subs.

I have this enclosure on a older pair of A.Bass XFL 12s .. and they Slamm on a CT Sounds 2k on one my Temp set ups. Looks like you know how to use a drill/ Screws and Silicone. Shouldnt be to hard for you as youve built this one here. Everything is In Alphabetical order and Marked and instructions are easy to follow. Id recommend using LockTite glue or Gorilla Wood Apoxy.. But Liquid Nails be fine and used Silicone to seal inside and out and all screw holes.

i appreciate that man I knew for a fact I had leakage especially the two empty screw holes and yes the box needs to be better I figured that as soon as I threw it together but thanks for that link and the tips I’ll check that out. Never heard of a glue and screw that’s pretty cool. I have a few 300 amp fuses and fuse blocks I’m about to put in tomorrow and install a volt meter I have. Also have a upgraded alt but haven’t installed that because it’s in a real hard to get to spot but plan too soon. I also have some pretty sweet battery terminals to put on I plan on running another run of 0 gauge to all my power inputs. And as soon as I can I’m gonna upgrade all of my speaker wire to 8 gauge to hopefully gain some output.

i appreciate that man I knew for a fact I had leakage especially the two empty screw holes and yes the box needs to be better I figured that as soon as I threw it together but thanks for that link and the tips I’ll check that out. Never heard of a glue and screw that’s pretty cool. I have a few 300 amp fuses and fuse blocks I’m about to put in tomorrow and install a volt meter I have. Also have a upgraded alt but haven’t installed that because it’s in a real hard to get to spot but plan too soon. I also have some pretty sweet battery terminals to put on I plan on running another run of 0 gauge to all my power inputs. And as soon as I can I’m gonna upgrade all of my speaker wire to 8 gauge to hopefully gain some output.
I use 10 Ga. Usually unless I have room to get a ring terminal on the Post terminals on the subs And use the Push ring Ill use 8 ga. But Usually 10 for me on 4k and less

The port looks to small to me. 3.5 cubes should put you around 50 - 56 square inches of port IMO.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...