Fi Audio 18BL warranty issue - failed after an hour of use

keep_hope_alive
Premium Member

Acoustics Engineer
I purchased a Fi 18BL dual 1 ohm. built a box for it and installed in a silverado. the silverado had two Massive Audio N4 amplifiers. The end goal was one on each coil and we started with that. did some testing, and it was stupid loud. resulted in my neighbor coming out to yell at me because we were shaking things off his walls during some initial testing.

For break-in we wired it up on one amp with coils in series for a 2 ohm load, 1kw per coil. End goal was 2kW RMS per coil (4kW Peak).

the sub lasted for 3 hours total (install to failure), maybe 60 minutes of actual use. all but a few seconds of it was on music at a reasonable volume. even the sine wave signals were well controlled. the output was 139.7dB on TL shortly before it failed, a few seconds at a time looking for frequency peak, not being pushed very hard. Gains set with a scope. good excursion but nothing extreme.

coil unwound from the former. that is what is wrong.

spent 2 weeks with Fi going back and forth, they asked all sorts of questions (typical stuff i would ask). finally gave me an RMA.

they reviewed the sub and said the suspension was still stiff and the sub looked new. no damage or issue other than the coil off the former. they said that because the sub was still stiff, i must have wired the coils out of phase. that is their way of getting out of a valid warranty claim.

i say the sub would not be possible of 140dB of output if the coils were out of phase. i know how to wire coils correctly. i say the sub looks and feels new because it only had an hour of use. of course it's stiff.

i measured the coils after the issue and one was 1 ohm and the other was 2 ohm. i didn't measure them before. neither coil was open, the glue just let loose. i know coil resistance can change when a sub has issues, but i suspect mismatched coils is what caused the issue in the first place. i see this as a clear instance of a mfr defect.

we are still negotiating.

other's have experience with this?

i have pics...

I mean what do you want us to say? we cant effect the outcome. or are you wanting us to join you in vilifying fi? sounds like you need to work this out with them. with all the good **** fi has done for me and many others for GRATIS,im having a hard time believing they are trying to screw you out of $10 of recone parts.
recones are far more expensive than $10

I mean what do you want us to say? we cant effect the outcome. or are you wanting us to join you in vilifying fi? sounds like you need to work this out with them. with all the good **** fi has done for me and many others for GRATIS,im having a hard time believing they are trying to screw you out of $10 of recone parts.
i am curious if anyone else has had a coil let loose from the former, and what the circumstances were/are.

i have worked on two other vehicles this month with the same sub and no issues. at this time, Fi and I are still discussing it.

thats jacked... and sorry, but 139 is not stupid loud //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
i know. we weren't pushing it, just looking for a vehicle peak. unclipped tones between 45-55Hz.

the point is, if the coils were out of phase, would 139 even be possible? i think not.

i know. we weren't pushing it, just looking for a vehicle peak. unclipped tones between 45-55Hz.
the point is, if the coils were out of phase, would 139 even be possible? i think not.
I dont think that the coils were out of phase, but I do think that you may have gain matched incorrectly, I know you are a great installer richard, but we all make mistakes.

i am curious if anyone else has had a coil let loose from the former, and what the circumstances are.
Sounds like a lemon to me ....ive seen lots of spider issues but no coils lettig loose..esp on that power..and i kno this is far from ur first rodeo so id say they are just jewing u around ....every company no matter how reputable has issues like this..just ***** fi chose to go about it this way

Meh if so not much more ....still disappointing on the meter
when we measured 139 the vehicle was silent. during higher output testing the roof was letting go from the supports and the entire truck was vibrating loudly. we know it'll do a lot more, but we weren't out to break the thing, just look for a peak (which was around 50Hz).

when wired to both, i used a scope and DMM to verify both were equal (within 10mV). i know how to set multiple amps. no, they aren't strappable.

since then, an Alphasonic Mahem 12" is wired to the exact same setup and doing just fine a month later, nothing was changed on the amp. i had to build a 3-layer adapter to mount in the same enclosure (which is a bit oversized for the 12").

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.