Fi Q 12" or Adire Brahma 12" HELP!!!

Jaredturp
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
PA
Here are my two options //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I'm going to buy parts and assemble one of these subs.... Opinions on SQ and SPL.... which wins which?

Fi Q wins at SQ... never tried the Brahma
Because the Q was that amazing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif
Apparently because you prefer the sound of BL distortion. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif That's not meant as much of a flame as it may sound, some people (dare I even say many) actually do prefer non BL optimized speakers. But the fact remains that the Brahma, technically speaking, will be the more accurate driver of the two.

Which I would chose would probably depend on which form of the Brahma we are talking about here. If its the robot underground version or the final version offered by Adire which had so many problems, Id might go with the Q. Otherwise, the Brahma would definitely get my vote.

Know of anywhere i can get a unputtogether brahma... that isnt from robot? probably gonna be hard to find //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

what do you think i could get a blown 12" fi q for? or new fi q parts?

Know of anywhere i can get a unputtogether brahma... that isnt from robot? probably gonna be hard to find //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
what do you think i could get a blown 12" fi q for? or new fi q parts?
contact Fi

Brahma, no question. It won't sound as loud because the XBL^2 technology eliminates distortion which is what most people seem to think is just extra bass.

****, audioholic beat me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif

I've owned the Q and although it was a pretty good woofer, i've had/heard many subs with better SQ than it, and get just as loud if not louder. If its the MkII or even the MKI id say the brahma would be a better option

Apparently because you prefer the sound of BL distortion. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif That's not meant as much of a flame as it may sound, some people (dare I even say many) actually do prefer non BL optimized speakers. But the fact remains that the Brahma, technically speaking, will be the more accurate driver of the two.
Which I would chose would probably depend on which form of the Brahma we are talking about here. If its the robot underground version or the final version offered by Adire which had so many problems, Id might go with the Q. Otherwise, the Brahma would definitely get my vote.
what exactly does bl mean. what are examples of these subs. ive read the thing on audiopulse.com but ive heard its not as accurate as it should be.

You may want to do a little more research before building a sub like that. The brahma may be a little harder to accomplish than the Q. I'd nervous about the project because of the RU trash going around. Sounds like a fun project though.

what exactly does bl mean. what are examples of these subs. ive read the thing on audiopulse.com but ive heard its not as accurate as it should be.
B*L, it is the magnetic gap strength * stroke or heighth of gap, I can't remeber ATM. Basically, the Q will have a Parabola for the BL curve whereas the Brahma will have a fairly straight line for the BL curve that then drops off quickly. What this means is that the Brahma will have significantly less distortion than the Q. I also believe the Brahma used shorting rings which will also help minimize Le and linearize the Le vs. stroke curve, also vastly reducing distortion. Overall Brahma >> Q.

Read the papers on this site about XBL:

http://www.acousticdev.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=12&Itemid=64

To simplify what bose301 said, BL is basically the motor strength of a speaker. As cone excursion increases, the coil moves out of the gap. With traditional speakers this means less motor force applied to the moving mass. Less motor strength has a side effect of less cone control. So a traditional speaker will exhibit more and more 'BL distortion' the further the cone moves.

BL optimized speakers mean the BL (motor force) is virtually identical no matter how much cone excursion is exhibited. In other words, the speaker will have the same cone control at 1mm excursion as it will at 30mm. This is what is meant when people say the speaker has a 'flat BL curve'. When plotted out in visual form, a traditional speaker's motor force (BL plot) will have a curved shape, due to the changing of BL force as the cone moves further. BL optimized drivers have a flat 'curve' due to the linear nature of its motor force at varying excursion points.

Smarter men than me have shown that 80% of a speaker's distortion is based on BL distortion, which put into perspective how much BL optimization can affect the sound of one driver versus another. However, also to keep things in perespective, speaker distortion should not be confused with signal distortion, an example of signal distortion being amplifier or pre-amp clipping. Even BL optimized speakers can and will sound distorted, if they are fed a distorted signal.

One last thing of importance to note is, most people are so use to hearing traditional, non BL optimized speakers, that hearing one that lacks BL distortion is sometimes considered to sound 'wrong' or 'missing something' that should be there. Think about it, how often do modern humans hear music that is not being reproduced via a speaker? Very very rarely. Even most live concerts utilize speakers to display the performance to the crowd. So modern humans have come to perceive BL distortion as something normal, as if its suppose to be there, and when its gone, they think something is lacking that should be there. Im fully confident that BL optimization is in the future of speakers, but that it not taking off like wildfire is due to humans resisting the technology due to this sensation that something is lacking that otherwise should be there. BL optimization is the wave of the future, it will simply take a while for humans to accept it.

Cheers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.