First time term lab experience

valleyrider

So being new to this whole car audio thing I got my system somewhat setup and decided to see what kind of numbers my car would put out. I have a 2013 Hyundia Sonata 2.0t so it's a trunk build. I'm running an SQ2200.1 amp with an LC2i to provide signal from my stock navi HU. I have a single 1/0 awg run of knukoncepts wire with no other electrical upgrades done.

I'm pushing a d2 12" sp4 subwoofer in a 2.75 cu box tuned to 31 hz. It gets pretty loud to my ears so I was curious to find out how loud it really is in comparison to numbers I see posted hear all the time. This being my first system I don't know what loud sounds like or what to expect so I figured I would find out.

I ran a tonal sweep to find where my box and car peaked first. Found out 41hz is the magic tone my box likes to produce loudest. Best number I came away with today was a 137.5 db at 41 hz.

First thing in going to do now is buy a battery for the trunk and see what the does. While I install the battery in going to look into doing the big 3 to try to get some better power to the amp as that seems to be what will help boost my numbers slightly. Just looking to keep my system sounding good not chasing numbers, was just curious how loud my perception of loud was.

Any advice or experienced comments welcome.

I've done 146 and change (literally almost twice as loud) with a single 12 on 2KW but that was in a Jeep and not tuned so low.

If you were to set a reasonable goal for yourself 140-142 would be a good target that you should be able to meter and remain musical. Much of this is vehicle dependent (trunks are hard unless you're Terry Brock) and a lot of the "tricks" that increase your score on a meter don't really add any audible output just to set in and listen to music.

Not too bad for what you've got and the box tuning.

Changing small things like box positioning or seat positioning can give you a bit of a score increase.

That's a db more than my 8
Op something is wrong
I figured something must be wrong somewhere. I know it's not an efficient woofer by any means but I thought I should be able to hit 140 since I see people hitting 146 with a more efficient single 12" sub. I'll hook up an extra battery and play around with some settings to see if I can get a higher output without clipping the signal.

Deadening the car will be a big thing I'll need to start doing, I hear nothing but rattling above 38hz when I turn it up at all.

With raising tuning will the sub still be able to hit low at 30hz? There's a few songs I like that hit that low and slightly lower. Main goal is daily listening and enjoyment but I do want to know that I can hit at least a 140. I figure it's a reasonable goal while still remaining musical and not competing.

Deadening the car will be a big thing I'll need to start doing, I hear nothing but rattling above 38hz when I turn it up at all.
With raising tuning will the sub still be able to hit low at 30hz? There's a few songs I like that hit that low and slightly lower. Main goal is daily listening and enjoyment but I do want to know that I can hit at least a 140. I figure it's a reasonable goal while still remaining musical and not competing.
Then you'll just need to deaden if you want to keep it low. Control flex and add more power along with proper electrical to back it up.

Here's a list you can see and try out to increase your score. I'd start with an aero port so you can adjust tuning as needed easily.

SPL gains, Aeros, Slots, Flares

Can you post a pic of your setup for us to see how it is right now?
Box before it was finished

IMG_1266_zpscsp40fo5.jpg

Sub installed

164B8F90-912B-44CB-89CD-CB46522E5B99_zpsbqmxiuxg.jpg

Amp setup

image_zpskoaahhuy.jpeg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.