flushing a very bad cooling system.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tragic00
10+ year member

I am Omega
Ohio
Hello all,

I recently posted here asking about flushing a cooling system. I ended up back flushing it at first, which helped some but not enough. So from there I used Prestone Super Flush (just sodium citrate), cleaned a lot of brown stuff out, back flush 3-4 times total. Which I can still see stuff gummed up in the radiator fins. It looks as if a lite brown playdoe style stuff.

I know prior to me doing this flush, it prolly hasn't been done in at least 10 years (it's a 95), besides just adding water or coolant.

My question is, what can I use that will be stronger, but not damaging to my engine to clear it out? I'm starting to look around at prices on raidiators and heatercores. But I am just not looking forward to changing the heater core.

If you do what I said to do. You will be fine and have your car up and running again. Like I said. Take everything apart. All hoses( as you are going to need to replace them as well). Start flushing water with a good hose in and all around all the places you have taken hoses out. The radiator is a must to replace. To many small passages for the gunk to stay at. Unless you can plow it all out.

Its going to take a few times hours to flush out. I know I have done this a many of times. On different makes and models. It worked for me in the past and my shop it will work for you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.