Focal 165 VR and Kicker KX600.4 a good match, if so how to wire?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Papaloads
10+ year member

LA, CA
My current amp is a Kicker KX600.4 manual below:

http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/02KX300_600_800_4Manual.pdf

I am in all likelyhood going to buy some Focal 165 VR's and only use these as my front stage.

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_10646_Focal+165+VR.html#specs

My main question is will my Kicker amp be able to provide the power that these components require without a problem? If not which amp would you guys suggest?

If so how should I wire the speakers up to the amp? should i bridge them as seen in the manual? Should the tweeter be connected to the same channel as its respective woofer or should i use a separate channel for each tweeter and woofer?

If i bridge the speakers resulting in a mono sound will that hurt the SQ? Any other negative effects?

given your suggested wiring scheme what would be the resulting RMS power

@ 13.8V, 4Ω Stereo, 0.085% THD 75 x 4

@ 13.8, 2Ω Stereo, 0.2% THD 150 x 4

@ 13.8, 4Ω Mono, 0.4% THD 300 x 2

also if someone could explain the concept of an amplifiers minimal impedance per channel and how that relates to the speakers impedance(if at all)?

In the case of Focal 165 VR's they have an impedance of 4 ohm's (is that a cumulative amount for all 4 speakers, 2 tweeters and 2 woofers or each speaker or for each group of speakers, 1 tweeter and 1 woofer?)

being that the speakers have an impedance of 4 ohms does that mean that I must configure the amp so that the minimal impedance of each channel matches the speakers impedance?

after reading this post you can probably figure out that i'm not the most informed audio enthusiast and have never done a full install, so if you guys could dumb down your comments and suggestions that would be really helpful.

i say go with this amp, that 600.4 will be to much power wasted
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_6571_Kicker+ZX450.2.html
Note: I already own the kicker KX600.4, i think you might be under the impression that i'm looking to buy a kx600.4, if not then read on

I would rather not get another amp unless my current kicker 600.4 can't provide more than enough power for the focals.

If i get another amp then my current 600.4 will just waste away in my closet or something.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.