Focal 165V2 upgrade to K2P - good idea?

macdon
10+ year member

Been happily using a Focal 165V2 for the past 9 months......and recently was presented a unique opportunity in getting a K2P set.

What would be the difference (if any) between both sets and does the improvement (again, if any) warrants paying the K2P double the amount of the V2s?

To be honest - I'm asking that same question myself! hehehehehe.......and I'm sure my wife would agree to the both of you as well.

My apologies for the irrational question - but since I love the heck out of my Focals, I just thought that any higher up models would mean better - maybe....or maybe not?

Sure, the K2P is about double the cost of the V2s and I'm sure the K2P wont be twice as better.......maybe just a pecentage. The question there now is would I pay double for that percentage........hmmmm.

I guess I gotta go audition some K2Ps.....

Every person has a point of diminishing returns with audio equipment.. You may find the bump in sound quality very worth the price, or not. As you get higher up the audio food chain with any good hi-fi company, the higher you go, the SQ increase amount is smaller and smaller, but the price difference is larger and larger.. Finding that point where it's not worth it to you to bump further is nirvana.

If you do go k2p, you shouldn't have a problem unloading your v2's.. Shoot, if I weren't fairly set on going diy, I'd consider 'em myself. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif But if I were considering focals, I'd be hard pressed not to go k2p myself. Good luck.

I wouldn't do it. Not enough gain in that swap to justify the cost. Besides, the k2p have a nasty habit of cone warping in the heat...and you live in the Philippines. Never been there but I was told it is hot as hell there.

Here's my question to you-have you listened to both of them? If you can find a store that sells both, switch between them, you'll notice something. V2's are better sounding, personally I think K2P's sound like v1's. K powers, imo, have better bass, but in no way better sq. If you can find a place to listen to both, do it. Unless you get the top of the line upgraded K2p's, I really really don't think it's worth it. I love V2's, I'll be gettin them in a couple of weeks (upgraded V2's are out, can't wait till I can get my hands on em). It kind of says something when the owner of a shop tells you straight up that Poly V2's sound better than K2P's, and that they're what's in his car(happened to me obviously :])

Here's my question to you-have you listened to both of them? If you can find a store that sells both, switch between them, you'll notice something. V2's are better sounding, personally I think K2P's sound like v1's. K powers, imo, have better bass, but in no way better sq. If you can find a place to listen to both, do it. Unless you get the top of the line upgraded K2p's, I really really don't think it's worth it. I love V2's, I'll be gettin them in a couple of weeks (upgraded V2's are out, can't wait till I can get my hands on em). It kind of says something when the owner of a shop tells you straight up that Poly V2's sound better than K2P's, and that they're what's in his car(happened to me obviously :])
I was suppose to audition the distributor's car today, but due to his busy schedule he didnt make it......too bad. He was using K2P.

Anyway, his partner entertained all my questions & made suggestions on how to improve my existing V2 set.

He did comment however that K2P's mids has detailed midrange, but not too much punch. He suggested that if I want more punch on the mids that I should go for the 165KPS instead. The KPS utilizes kevlar on the mids similar to the K2P but has a bigger (better?) tweets than the V2s. Will audition more thou.

Is a kevlar cone better than a Polyglass?

The distributor's partner gave you some good advice. The kevlar cones will give you some more detail. I'm not sure they won't have the punch your current set would, but the other kevlar set without the phase plug would probably have more midbass. I know the tweeter on the kevlar set is also better.

Why not get similar quality sound to the Focal kevlars for a lower price? - Check out prices on the web for the PPI 356cs or Cerwin V-Max 65. Focals are great, but overpriced.

You guys are right.....and I did get the confirmation from some folks who are using the K2P:

K2P= midrange (w/ phase plug)/tweeter set. Great midrange detail. but lacks bass/midbass kick.

KPs= woofer/tweeter set. A bit less detail on the mids, but punchier midbass.

Both the K2P and KPs uses the same TN52 Tweets as well as the same xovers.

However, KPs nominal power is 80w, while the K2P is 100w.

IMO, I thought the K2Ps had some great midbass!! They blew me away and sounded amazing with all different kinds of music, overall an amazing sounding component set, the best Ive heard, but Ive never heard Rainbow, Morel or Hertz:(, but I hope to some day, but I think you couldnt go wrong with any speakers by those companies, theyre all phenominal speakers!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.