Free Enclosure Design to the...

no real magic to a 4th order. When done right, they should have the same response curve as that sub in sealed box, but should be louder doing it. Nothing more, nothing less. Ive seen people claim all sorts of crazy stuff with a 4th order, but you hear the same stuff with t lines, 6th orders, ported. You name the enclosure and we can find somebody that says they did 150 db from one 8" on 2000 watts with a flat response curve from what ever box they are in love with.

No real magic.
There. Fixtit. ;-)

Fourth orders do not have the same response curve as sealed boxes. They have a passband which causes them to roll off both above and below tuning. And they roll off at a steeper rate (slope) than sealed enclosures. The benefit that goes with that negative is acoustical gain at and around tuning. This is why they make good burp boxes and home theater LFE boxes and it's why they don't make good all around music boxes. Ditto for 6th and 8th orders, although the latter can have a much wider bandwidth and still be above flat.

As for transmission lines, they're great for all around music boxes because they're more efficient than conventional ported enclosures and they have exceptional low end extension. To date, the only negative I've been able to find with respect to lines is their size. Being, on average, three times the size of a conventional ported box and owing to the fact that they're one long tube... they present a huge challenge in design even in vehicles where space isn't an issue.

There. Fixtit. ;-)
Fourth orders do not have the same response curve as sealed boxes. They have a passband which causes them to roll off both above and below tuning. And they roll off at a steeper rate (slope) than sealed enclosures. The benefit that goes with that negative is acoustical gain at and around tuning. This is why they make good burp boxes and home theater LFE boxes and it's why they don't make good all around music boxes. Ditto for 6th and 8th orders, although the latter can have a much wider bandwidth and still be above flat.

As for transmission lines, they're great for all around music boxes because they're more efficient than conventional ported enclosures and they have exceptional low end extension. To date, the only negative I've been able to find with respect to lines is their size. Being, on average, three times the size of a conventional ported box and owing to the fact that they're one long tube... they present a huge challenge in design even in vehicles where space isn't an issue.
1. Very true indeed upstairs there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif BUT why design one? we have digital crossovers in our headunits, and onboard amplifiers that do what a 4th order BANDPASS does acoustically as apposed to electronically.

2. Second portion also so true, BUT they are huge due to Quarter Wave... gotta love quarter wave //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I should post a few pics of my tapped horns :eek:

oh... I dont know... 2 12s, less than 1k, burping 147's sealed on the dash in a tahoe. only a week or so testing. oh, and played music 1db flat from 25-60hz. 145s on the dash musical sealed as well, as stated in sig.

1. Very true indeed upstairs there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif BUT why design one? we have digital crossovers in our headunits, and onboard amplifiers that do what a 4th order BANDPASS does acoustically as apposed to electronically.
2. Second portion also so true, BUT they are huge due to Quarter Wave... gotta love quarter wave //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I should post a few pics of my tapped horns :eek:
Crossovers don't provide the acoustical gains a 4th order box does and that's the reason why most people want them. As for transmission lines, I wasn't asserting the reason, I was just pointing out that they are large. But... it could also be argued that ¼ wave t-lines are rather small, owing to the fact they they're only a ¼ wavelength long. ;-)

And dude... post up the pics man. Everyone here likes to drool over wooden boxes that make noise. :)

Here are a few I've done. Some old, some new one not yet finished...

1410857_1419030651666560_1206450193_o.jpg

1485953_1419030744999884_926599038_o.jpg

861101_1419030854999873_2139312248_o.jpg

1622421_1434861513416807_238578072_o.jpg

1522535_1434862183416740_1727230456_o.jpg

oh... I dont know... 2 12s, less than 1k, burping 147's sealed on the dash in a tahoe. only a week or so testing. oh, and played music 1db flat from 25-60hz. 145s on the dash musical sealed as well, as stated in sig.
What amp? Let's have a look at the RTA graph of that.

So, let's see...

You're asserting that a bandpass is no more efficient/offers no gain over a standard ported box?

And bbeljefe says that they have a steeper rolloff than sealed?

Interesting.

I know some of you guys are box gurus, but I am hearing some things that I never heard before. The rolloff and passband are all a fuction of the 4th design? I have seen several 4th order graphs that are literally the same response curve as that same sub sealed, only louder throughout the entire range. The rolloff on the upper and lower end were basically identical, again the only difference being the 4th was lounder. On the flip side, I have seen some nasty I guess you call them burp boxes that have huge peaks and drop like rocks on the low and high end. In both cases, isnt that just a function of the design? So I can have a very musical 4th if I have the correct sized sealed section, ported section, port tuning, and port size.

I also want to say that my response is a way to get educated not argue. Again, I have heard some things that were explained much differently than I heard before.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.