G5 window cables frayed. STUCK

budahbuddy803
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Aiken, SC
Well, my driver side window has made noise and functioned a little less adequately within the past 3 months. I didn't really think much of it, but yesterday, it stopped completely. I removed the door panel to check out what was going on. Turns out there are two cables that are attached to a motor and the cables are what raises and lowers the window. One of the cables is completely frayed, the other is fine. There is nothing in my door that I can see that would have caused that.

The dealership wants ~$400 to fix it. They will charge a minimum of $85 to even look at it. Ever happen to anyone? I don't want to get it replaced and have a cable do that again.... Again, I can't figure out what in the heck caused it to fray in the first place.

You can't repair it yourself? I've had the bolts fall out of the plastic clips at the bottom of the window from my stereo before. Window dropped to the bottom of the door and stayed there lol

Its a window regulator. You should be able to get this at your local parts store new. Like NAPA I am sure sells them. Its a GM car they do it all the time. Nothing cut into the cable its just going bad. Once again they do it all the time. Back in my GM days Id say I would have over 20 working motors a couple of weeks from replacing them under warranty when the regulator cables would snap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.