Glue In My Fuses Is Melting

Participant count
  • Participant list
ANL fuses?

How much current are you pulling through them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If we could see a picture then that would be a big help actually. What might be happening however is that your fuse holder isnt making good contact on one of the terminals that either hold the wire in or the fuse in and less than adequate connection means resistance, resistance with current means heat which means melted materials. Ive had this to happen to me once before with a standard blade type fuse holder in an 8 guage wiring kit. The quick slide connectors inside the holder became loose and melted the fuse and holder together.

Its not his amp thats acting up, its just his fuse holder and fuses. I would first try to see if there was a way to improve connections. Disconnect your wire from the battery and give the fuse holder a good through check. Tug on the wires and wiggle them to see if their loose, better yet if theyre held in with set screws take the wire out and clean out the fuse holder and clean off the wire itself and put a little bit of dielectric grease on them. Vaseline also works well. It will help keep the metal from corroding. Then install a fuse and if you can see if you can move it the same way as you tried the wires. Then for extra reassurance, clean off all connection surfaces with a wire brush or some sandpaper. If its gold plated or has some other shiny surface you want to keep try something thats usually used for jewlry cleaning such as ketchup. Its a good copper cleaner. Lemone juice also works well. However if you use the substances make sure to throughly clean any residue left over with some rubbing alcohol or windex as they will likely aid in corroding the metal if left on there. Also coat the these surfaces slightly as you did the wire connections. After that there shouldnt be any type of connection problem causing resistance. If you still have problems, try a different fuse holder if possible and see where that gets you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.