Ground loop noise only comming through 1 tweeter

Participant count
  • Participant list

itsblown
10+ year member

why is there smoke?
Toledo OH
Im experiencing ground loop noise and its only comming through my front driver side tweeter not through the mid on that side but just the tweet. Ive got speaker wire ran from the back amp to a cross over mounted on the tubbing for my hvac up under the dash. The humming noise gets worse the higher rpm the engine is and someonetimes it will fade away and come back but it is only through my front driver side tweeter. How do I get rid of this?

I would try a different location for the xover. also try running the speaker wire for the tweeter as far away from other wires as possible

Would having the xover near the rca cause this noise? I moved my xovers to inside the cabin, not in the doors yesterday and my tweets pickup a buzzing noise now.

Im experiencing ground loop noise and its only comming through my front driver side tweeter not through the mid on that side but just the tweet. Ive got speaker wire ran from the back amp to a cross over mounted on the tubbing for my hvac up under the dash. The humming noise gets worse the higher rpm the engine is and someonetimes it will fade away and come back but it is only through my front driver side tweeter. How do I get rid of this?
Ground loops happen when ground current flows through the RCA cable shield. It's caused by the amp ground and source ground being different. That's where you should look - at the HU and amp grounds. Also try swapping the RCA cables and see if it switches to the other side.

Would having the xover near the rca cause this noise? I moved my xovers to inside the cabin, not in the doors yesterday and my tweets pickup a buzzing noise now.
No. It's possible that the xover itself can pick up noise if it's near some electrical noise source, but that's a long shot.

Ground loops happen when ground current flows through the RCA cable shield. It's caused by the amp ground and source ground being different. That's where you should look - at the HU and amp grounds. Also try swapping the RCA cables and see if it switches to the other side.

No. It's possible that the xover itself can pick up noise if it's near some electrical noise source, but that's a long shot.
my cross over is about 6 inches away from my entire fuse box. Ill try swapping the rcas like you said. is it a possibiity that the tweeter speaker wire is comming too close to a power wire or something?

my cross over is about 6 inches away from my entire fuse box. Ill try swapping the rcas like you said. is it a possibiity that the tweeter speaker wire is comming too close to a power wire or something?
No. Speaker wires, including tweeters, are so low impedance that it's almost impossible for them to pick up noise. The crossover has inductors that are high impedance at high frequencies so it's theoretically possible for them to pick something up but as I said, that's a long shot.

I have had xovers pick up noise before. I would put my money on them especially if you had them in the door w/ no problems. There is a lot of electromagnetic interference by the fuse panel.

I have had xovers pick up noise before. I would put my money on them especially if you had them in the door w/ no problems. There is a lot of electromagnetic interference by the fuse panel.
That's the kind of info we need. Experience.

Could be a number of things. I myself had this happen in my car, ended up being a bad solder joint on the RCA harness of my radio. Replaced the harness (after replacing the RCAs grrrrrrr) and it was all better. It was weird.

You can start narrowing it down. Swap RCA channels (left to right see if it follows), swap speaker outputs (left to right see if it follows), etc.

Could be a number of things. I myself had this happen in my car, ended up being a bad solder joint on the RCA harness of my radio. Replaced the harness (after replacing the RCAs grrrrrrr) and it was all better. It was weird.
You can start narrowing it down. Swap RCA channels (left to right see if it follows), swap speaker outputs (left to right see if it follows), etc.
I flipped my left and right RCAs and it sill only came out of this one tweeter.

I flipped my left and right RCAs and it sill only came out of this one tweeter.
Well you know it's not from the source unit or the RCAs. Now swap the speaker wires to see if it's coming through via the amplifier, or something after the amplifier.

Found out what it was. My tweeter speaker wire had to run down through the dash ended up rapping around a constant 12v by the fuse box. I re ran it and twisted the speker wire noise went away

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.