Hanging CCV/MLV in BMW E36 - Remove Stock Dampener?

Participant count
  • Participant list

MrFriskles
10+ year member

Hey guys, just putting my sound deadener showdown CCV/MLV sheets on my rear panels and I am wondering if I should remove the factory dampener that they have installed there.

I figured mo dampener is mo better, but I was curious if it was worth leaving in considering the new stuff is far better/thicker/newer?

Old stuff is sort of brittle, seems like its probably an old fairly thin MLV type material.

It is somewhat complicating the install, but not to badly, just makes stuff a little tighter around the seat belt tensioner. Red boxes indicate stock mounts which I probably want to use.

View attachment 26526297

I try to leave or reinstall stock materials - with a few caveats. It needs to be in good condition and it can't get in the way to the point where I can't get the new stuff in. If you want to make a decision based on some science, pull that piece out, weigh it, calculate its area and come up with mass/area in lbs/ft². The MLV you are adding is 1 lb/ft². You gain 6 dB of attenuation every time you double the mass of a barrier. If the stock barrier weighs anything close to 1 lb/ft² leaving it will make an audible difference. If it's much less than that, the MLV will make it superfluous and it won't be worth the extra work it will take to keep it there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

MrFriskles

10+ year member
MrFriskles
San Diego, CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from