Have a 4ohm question

Participant count
  • Participant list

jagerauto
10+ year member

va beach
Ok so I had a Kenwood KAC-7201 amplifier and a Infinity Reference 860W 1000W 8" Single 4 Ohm Subwoofer. All worked well had the sub Bridged (I dunno if this is what messed ti up or..). But like I said it worked great until my car got flooded and the amp was submerged in water. Power ran through the amp until the battery died. This is where maybe the power went to the sub and fried it? Anyways replaced the amp with a Kenwood KAC-6104D. Worked for about a week then stared randomly not working. I discovered that if you had it turned up and pressed the sub it would work until you tuned it down. Anyways Now I'm putting a JL AUDIO® 8W3v3-4 8" 4-OHM Sub in. Now when I go to wire this thing to the amp is it bad to wire it 2 ohm? Sounds obvious to me but the other sub was fine, I think lol. I guess I dont know the effect of running a 4ohm sub with 2ohms? Also how do I wire this sub two ohms? just use one channel *dont bridge*?

Thanks in advance

Ok so I had a Kenwood KAC-7201 amplifier and a Infinity Reference 860W 1000W 8" Single 4 Ohm Subwoofer. All worked well had the sub Bridged (I dunno if this is what messed ti up or..). But like I said it worked great until my car got flooded and the amp was submerged in water. Power ran through the amp until the battery died. This is where maybe the power went to the sub and fried it? Anyways replaced the amp with a Kenwood KAC-6104D. Worked for about a week then stared randomly not working. I discovered that if you had it turned up and pressed the sub it would work until you tuned it down. Anyways Now I'm putting a JL AUDIO® 8W3v3-4 8" 4-OHM Sub in. Now when I go to wire this thing to the amp is it bad to wire it 2 ohm? Sounds obvious to me but the other sub was fine, I think lol. I guess I dont know the effect of running a 4ohm sub with 2ohms? Also how do I wire this sub two ohms? just use one channel *dont bridge*?
Thanks in advance
ya you can wire the sub 2 ohms.. if its dual voice coil run pos to pos on sub and neg to neg then one of each to amp..

Your last amp was a 2 channel amp that should have bridged on your original single 4 ohm sub. Then you got a mono amp(one channel, no bridging possible), and think you wired your infinity sub to 2 ohms....not possible. Now to want to wire a single 4 ohm JL sub to 2 ohm...not possible. Just take + and - from amp to sub. You'll be wired at 4 ohms getting 200 watts if you're lucky. There is no way around that.

see now the amp has two channels.. well two pos and two neg.. think the mono block has something to do with the internals? idk.

ya.. single voice coil on mono amp you are out of options.. bridging amp you ares till at 4ohm but you will use 2 channels of your amp instead of one.. thats your best bet

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.