HDC18/FI BL Any sub builders?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Justinh722
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Had a problem with a shifted pole piece and shifted magnet on an HDC18 so I decided to use a spare FI BL motor that I had sitting around. The motor had a little surface rust on it from some moisture, is there something I could use to clean it off? Is it a big problem?

I was also wondering about the Basket to motor bolts. Do I use loctite on those or just get them as tight as I can? I know I have to shim the coil. Can I use card stock? I heard of people using printer paper. I already bought some glue. I got some medium rubberized black CA glue and some loctite epoxy. Should I even bother with the epoxy since the spider assembly bolts down? Will the CA glue work just fine for that?

I'm not sure If I got the right CA glue. it seems pretty thin to where it would bleed into the foam surround, but I cant say for sure. I also notice the sub had 2 dust caps. Do they all come factory like that? I appreciate the help.

I don't know how the hell you got the soft parts out intact. Every sub I've ever dealt with took cutting and chiselling away the excess afterwards. I've never dealt with a HDC but I've never seen one taken apart like this either. Strange.

To answer your questions... The CA glue should work. Index cards or paper etc works for shims. Just make sure its even and pretty tight in the gap so everything is aligned. I would probably put some glue there before bolting the spiders down. can't hurt. Not sure on the dustcaps but probably is stock. BTW I have no idea if this "frankenwoofer" will even work since the softparts aren't designed for that motor. But worth a shot since the HDC motor is screwed, I guess. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Everything looks good. I don't think I have heard of anyone else trying this combo out. Coil fits perfect in the motor. I'll just give the ca glue a try. I have heard of people using black rtv silicone for caps.

I used a hot air gun to remove the soft parts. Worked good. I didn't damage the lower dust cap at all. Any suggestions on the surface rust? Thanks for the help

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Everything looks good. I don't think I have heard of anyone else trying this combo out. Coil fits perfect in the motor. I'll just give the ca glue a try. I have heard of people using black rtv silicone for caps.
I used a hot air gun to remove the soft parts. Worked good. I didn't damage the lower dust cap at all. Any suggestions on the surface rust? Thanks for the help

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.