Head unit install.. confused as hell.

alxmlr789
10+ year member

6>5
FL
Well, I'm putting in my friends new head unit in his 97 ram, basic head unit install.

His stock head unit works perfectly fine, he just wanted a new one, speakers are fine, everything is good.

I take out the stocker, wire up the new one. It turns right on, everything works fine, but absolutely NO sound are coming from the speakers, no static, nothing. I unplug it all, wire it back up again.. nothing.

I put the stock head unit back in, speakers worked fine, plugged the new head unit back in, once again, nothing.

Any ideas of what could possibly be wrong, out of 50+ head unit installs, I've never had this problem.

Any help would be excellent.

Might have an infinity set up with an amp? idk

Possibly, When i first got my truck (also a dodge) I put my new HU in, with the factory infinity amp, and there was no issues..

This is what I'd say. Maybe something that has to do with a remote from the stock HU to the amp? Follow the wires from / to the speakers and see if that's what it is.

He bought some RSD's and is buying a 100x2 amp from me, we're installing them next week. He just wanted the new head unit hooked up for the time being.

The truck does have the factory "components" with the separate tweeter in the A pillar's, so i'm assuming the truck does indeed have the infinity system?

Factory amp should be in the passenger kick panel. you can bypass it and run your own wires but I have mine still running my rear fill with no issues. My 97 ram didnt have the infinity but my 97 dakota does.

He bought some RSD's and is buying a 100x2 amp from me, we're installing them next week. He just wanted the new head unit hooked up for the time being.
The truck does have the factory "components" with the separate tweeter in the A pillar's, so i'm assuming the truck does indeed have the infinity system?
yes the tweet's in the pill's mean's it has a factory amp system... these one's ****!!

Factory amp should be in the passenger kick panel. you can bypass it and run your own wires but I have mine still running my rear fill with no issues. My 97 ram didnt have the infinity but my 97 dakota does.
not on this system..

ok OP... the amps are on the front speaker's in the door's...

the left door speaker power's the left tweet, and the left rear. same with the right door speaker power's twwet and rear speaker...

USUALLY...some times you can get the factory amps to work by powering up the ant/ rem wire off of the factory harness...

if not...

then you are gunna need to run ALL BRAND NEW WIRE. and door speakers..

there is no way around it...

have fun!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.