Head Unit settings and Stock Speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

fazio93
10+ year member

N/A
I removed the double-DIN stock head unit in my 2005 Toyota Corolla. I replaced it with a JVC Head Unit that puts out 20 W RMS x 4 at 4ohms

It has an option in the settings called 'Amp Gain'. You can change it to high power (making max volume 0-50) or low power (making max volume 0-30). It says select 'low power' if each speaker's maximum power is less than 50 W to prevent damaging the speaker.

I had it set on low power and I cranked it up to 30 and I didn't hear any distortion at all.

I doubt my stock speakers can handle 20 W RMS, so should I keep it set at 'low power'? I can't find out how many watts that my stock speakers can handle. all it says is 4ohms but I've read online some people said it's around 15 W max for each stock speaker.

Also, I haven't set the gains on my amp yet for my 12" Kicker CVR but I have been playing around with the equalizer and 'loud' settings on the head unit and it sounds a lot better with loud on, bass at +6, subwoofer at +8, etc. I have read online that the head unit should be set as flat as possible when setting gains. does it matter if i configure the equalizer now or after i set the gains?

Thanks

well as far as i know, you should have all settings on the HU set up when setting gain for subs, so that you have the gain set highest with all settings so that you wont end up clipping or over powering your sub when you start playing around with the settings on the HU after the gain is set

but i could be wrong, thats just the way i've always done it

that's what i thought but i've read a lot of tutorials online that say make sure all equalizers are off/set to zero so that you can get a "clean" signal to base your gain off of.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.