Hello Everybody (new Guy) w/ questions

jsayre914
10+ year member

York, PA
Hey, was looking for a car audio fourm and you popped up first. Seems like a cool hangout. I have only been here less than 5min. I really like big sound in small places, but i am a perfectionist. i really like good clean sound. i cant afford perfection, so i just do the best i can. I am a novice, little knowledge big ideas.

what i want is super big clean sound, mostly jazz beebop, blues, some hip hop stuff too. I have been collecting components over the years. I put it all togeather in my last porsche. It was rusted pretty good, so the components rusted as well. I sold the car, dismantled all the components, stripped all paint sanded and sprayed everything with a satin rustolim paint. even contacted manufactures such as phoenix gold who were glad to send me new screws, terminals, etc. now i have it all installed into my current ride. 73 porsche 914.

what i got is Sony xplod headunit with 2 rca into phoneix PLD1 line driver into phoenix EQ215i EQ then two sets of Rca one line has low pass filter into phoenix XS2500 Amp with LPL44 controll. other line comes from EQ to Phoenix ZX250 pushing polk DB component set from 10 years ago. The XS2500 is bridged with a single 12" polk in a Qform sealed box. I also have 1 farad on the bass amp and .5 farad on the other.

I have been playing with the balance, gains (starting from the head) and it is pretty well balanced. My problem is getting the sound just right with the EQ. each little touch of any of the 30+ sliders changes the soundstage. I cant figure out how it should be. I find myself constantly messing with it. Is it just me or is there a time when you say . "THERE IT IS"!??

index.php

Hey, was looking for a car audio fourm and you popped up first. Seems like a cool hangout. I have only been here less than 5min. I really like big sound in small places, but i am a perfectionist. i really like good clean sound. i cant afford perfection, so i just do the best i can. I am a novice, little knowledge big ideas.
what i want is super big clean sound, mostly jazz beebop, blues, some hip hop stuff too. I have been collecting components over the years. I put it all togeather in my last porsche. It was rusted pretty good, so the components rusted as well. I sold the car, dismantled all the components, stripped all paint sanded and sprayed everything with a satin rustolim paint. even contacted manufactures such as phoenix gold who were glad to send me new screws, terminals, etc. now i have it all installed into my current ride. 73 porsche 914.

what i got is Sony xplod headunit with 2 rca into phoneix PLD1 line driver into phoenix EQ215i EQ then two sets of Rca one line has low pass filter into phoenix XS2500 Amp with LPL44 controll. other line comes from EQ to Phoenix ZX250 pushing polk DB component set from 10 years ago. The XS2500 is bridged with a single 12" polk in a Qform sealed box. I also have 1 farad on the bass amp and .5 farad on the other.

I have been playing with the balance, gains (starting from the head) and it is pretty well balanced. My problem is getting the sound just right with the EQ. each little touch of any of the 30+ sliders changes the soundstage. I cant figure out how it should be. I find myself constantly messing with it. Is it just me or is there a time when you say . "THERE IT IS"!??
well what ayou want is to get as flat of a response in your car by boosting and cutting certain frequencies on your eq. the best way to do this is with and rta. kinda exspensive to buy so if you could find a shop with one or something would be your best bet

well what ayou want is to get as flat of a response in your car by boosting and cutting certain frequencies on your eq. the best way to do this is with and rta. kinda exspensive to buy so if you could find a shop with one or something would be your best bet
where does one get a rta, what is it?, and how cheap can it be?

thanks for the replys:)

Adjust to the sound you like, nothing else matters. It's not that differcult. Even in the big Sound Quality competitions, it comes down to the judges ear and his opinion.

Since you do not compete, just tune to what sounds good for you.

Because you like several different genres of music, you will most likely have to re-tune according to the particular type of music you are playing at the time.

Yes, Mr. Slate is correct. It can be kind of time consuming, but there is a point were it does come all together and you will know it when you get there. I like a well balance system with sq in mind. Keep in mind too, when you upgrade, it changes so you will have to re tweek it again. It' s all good though.

Adjust to the sound you like, nothing else matters. It's not that differcult. Even in the big Sound Quality competitions, it comes down to the judges ear and his opinion.Since you do not compete, just tune to what sounds good for you.

Because you like several different genres of music, you will most likely have to re-tune according to the particular type of music you are playing at the time.
This.

I don't know why he misspelled 'difficult.' Maybe it's a joke I didn't get...

However; if you really are an SQ nut, I'd suggest maybe picking up a different head unit. Sony isn't known for their excellence in SQ.

EDIT:: At least in the automotive world.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.