help a newb

Participant count
  • Participant list

s7jstep1
10+ year member

hi im looking at replacing my blown fosgate p2 12" with a new sub or 2 subs. my amp is a pioneer gm5200t. its 380rms bridged at 4 ohms, 190rms X 2 at 2 ohms.

i was looking at a loaded fosgate ported enclosure matched to a p2 12". i also saw a loaded box from kicker with 2 12" kicker comps. i know the p2 will work with my amp but i dont know if the comps will. they are wired to a 2 ohm final impedance and are 300rms. would i be able to rewire them to a 4 ohm impedance? if so, which would be the better choice, the single p2 or the 2 kicker comps? thanks

Kicker stuff doesn't sound that great, it only gets loud. I have heard everything in their lineup except L5s and Solo X. Due to your amp's output, you will want to find a sub thats about 400-500watts rms and 4 ohms. What is your budget and the kind of music that you listen to?

i like to listen to literally just about all kinds of music, rock, rap, country, even a little bit of frank sinatra lol. im looking to keep things in the $150-$175 range for the sub and enclosure. i was looking at the loaded enclosures. also im not really big into car audio and really dont know much. i also have a sony xplod head unit if that matters. a lot of people said its junk but i have no complaints and i love it.

AUDIOQUE SD 12's are on sale for $151 shpped. (600rms continuos watts/ 1200 music peak) they are underrated so they will handle more. i know by exp.....

AUDIOQUE SD 12's are on sale for $151 shpped. (600rms continuos watts/ 1200 music peak) they are underrated so they will handle more. i know by exp.....
wont that be too much for my amp? its only 380rms bridged and 760 max

i was also going to ask, i really like how the p2 sounded with rock and country in the sealed enclosure, i just wanted a little more boom when listening to rap. would the ported enclosure accomplish this or will i lose the tight bass when listening to the other genres? the enclosure is said to be tuned specificly for that subwoofer by the factory

In most cases sealed gives you better sq while ported gives you better spl. Look into a sa-10 or even an sa-8 both would wrk for you and give you the output ur looking for and they are somewhat cheap.

okay that makes sence. so a ported enclosure would be better for rap and sealed would be better for rock and country. could a ported enclosure sound good with rock and country at all or should i stick with a sealed enclosure?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.