Help end argument with friend

conn.am
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a friend who wanted to sell me a Rockford Fosgate 1000d. I respectfully declined, as I have a Hifonics Brutus BXi 2006D. His comment after that just has me pissed off.

"I did some research on your amp and its some off brand thats not competition series and clearly and well over rated in power. They say it prolly only produces 800 watts max, which I guess is kinda decent".

He then went on to say:

"Yours is over rated because it gets people like you to buy it thnking that it pushes that many whats (he means watts LOL) but in reality it doesnt."

I just told him that I did my research and knew what I was getting. I told him yes, hifonics is off brand, yes it is over rated. If I wanted a 2000 watt amp I would have chosen another amp.

He then goes on to say:

"Another thing is your amp doesnt produce clean sound either, more distortion than anything. Thats why you blew that sub right after i sold it to you lol remember". (He's referring to a Rockford Fostgate t1 that we blew with it.)

I dont even know how to respond to this guy. Im half tempted to tell him if he's so confident in his amp that we will go and have them tested and if my amp pushes more power, he hands me over his amp for free. If his amp pushes more power, I will hand over mine. However Im a bit nervous to pull the trigger on that challenge, as I am not totally sure that mine pushes more.

Thoughts?

He is right and wrong at the same time. You blew a sub because of distortion and/or do to a poor enclosure.

Hifonics went down hill after Maxsonic bought them out years ago and have never been the same since. They always post factious numbers drawing in people to buy them , but they are what they are. Which is "descent" budget amps.

Depending on which RF amp he has, he may be in no better of a situation though.

Sir im sorry to tell you pretty much 100% of his argument is valid. That rockford will **** all over your hifonics in both build quality and reliability. As well as raw power output. I will say it like this, ive seen brand new hifonics amps that dont work, and ive seen 20 year old beat to hell rockford amps that still do.

the rf is a much better amp. you amp might put out a tiny bit more power but the rf is probably puttin out around 1500 rms and urs might be doing 1800 rms (you wont be able to hear a difference) but the rf is way cleaner. you are much more likely to drive the hifonics into clipping. there is a big difference. betwen the 2 id take the rf, but not at the price they go for. for the money the hifonics does all it needs to do. ur friend doesnt exactly know what the hell he is talking about and sounds like a douche, but you dont really know either

please note that if this is a punch 1000d, its nothing special, not ridiculously better than the hifonics but if its a t1000 its one of the best 1k amps you can get for under 500 bucks. also keep in mind....rf was once one of the most overrated brands ever. i had an old "1500" watt rf amp that only did 300 rms

He's down to put them up against each other. I honestly am in no position to make this bet, and am going off of what I learned here. I hope you guys wont let me down //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif. I considered selling my amp for a Rockford 1000d one time and asked on here if that would be a good decision. I was told that would be a downgrade, even though my amp is over rated, it still should be pushing more than a 1000 watt rockford. As a off brand amp owner, I already know that my amp is off brand, that it is over rated. I stand behind my amp as it was suggested to me on here, and Im confident most of you guys know what your talking about. He thinks hes a know it all and I should just ignore him but its just too agrivating to let him continue to believe he knows everything. I would love to see his face when he realizes my POS off brand amp pushes more watts than his, while he hands me his amp for free.

I agree, that Rockford is a better amp. I understand that. But for him to just completely bash my set up is offending. FOR THE PRICE, dollar for dollar, i believe I got a great deal.

He's wrong! There is no way your amp only puts out 800 max, NO WAY. I'm not saying it'll do rated, sure it won't, but it's not THAT bad. Yes, that Fosgate is a superior amp in about every way but when it comes to power output, I guarantee you it won't do more power than yours. Why did you blow that sub? Could have had the gain too high, causing clipping and distortion, could have had it in the wrong enclosure, maybe it was on it's last legs when he sold it to you, who knows?

If it were me, I'd take him up on that challenge with the wager you suggested and lets see how big his mouth is then!

Well from what I gathered on here, it seems that it would be a close match. Granted his puts out more clean power, that was not the argument. I simply said my amp pushes as much, if not more, wattage as his precious rockford. Im not sure if that claim is true, but from what Ive gathered from this site, it should be close. As far as making the bet, I was pretty confident, but not confident enough to put my amp on the line. I may just go have it tested. If its pushed >1600, which i believe it should be, I will probably pursue the bet. I doubt his rockford is pushing more, but im just going off of what ive learned here, and understand that im no expert, by far.

With that being said, this forum has been of great help, especially in the past (2006ish) when i was first getting into car audio. Thank you all for that.

I didnt get as many replies as I'd like. I know this is not something most people want flooding the forums with. But I thought there would be some Hifonics users to defend me.

From what I gathered, its a close match up, if we are only talking wattage. Is that safe to say?

Hifonics BXi 2006d vs Rockford Fosgate T1000

Which do you believe puts out the most wattage, leaving quality out of the argument.

the Brutus or brz line is cea compliment to do dated watts so there u go end of discussion
CEA means nothing. I helped generate that idea back in the day at USACi and all though it was for good intentions it turned into nothing more then..if you pay for the logo you can use it.

For all the posting you do and stating things as fact, you would think that you would actually have real info to offer other then what you think to be true.

CEA means nothing. I helped generate that idea back in the day at USACi and all though it was for good intentions it turned into nothing more then..if you pay for the logo you can use it.
For all the posting you do and stating things as fact, you would think that you would actually have real info to offer other then what you think to be true.
will do statement over ruled by my dawg pro-rabbit LOL, good Shi t man

Im not sure what did it. All I know is I bought it used from him and after about 1/2 hour of slamming it, it finally blew. It may have been on its last leg, it may have been the enclosure he had it in (Custom built by him, probably didnt know what he was doing). I'd blame it on his enclosure but he had used it for awhile and did alright for him.

Your comment gives me some hope. I may go ahead with the bet, if he still wants to.

He's wrong! There is no way your amp only puts out 800 max, NO WAY. I'm not saying it'll do rated, sure it won't, but it's not THAT bad. Yes, that Fosgate is a superior amp in about every way but when it comes to power output, I guarantee you it won't do more power than yours. Why did you blow that sub? Could have had the gain too high, causing clipping and distortion, could have had it in the wrong enclosure, maybe it was on it's last legs when he sold it to you, who knows?
If it were me, I'd take him up on that challenge with the wager you suggested and lets see how big his mouth is then!

it really depends on the amp that he has. if it is a prime r1000, the hifonics will take a dump on it. If it is a t1000bd, it would probably be audibly louder due to cleanliness. similar to how my ED Nine.1 sounds louder and stronger than my old soundstream ega1700 when the Nine.1 is rated at 1200 and the EGA is rated at 1700.

the Brutus or brz line is cea compliment to do dated watts so there u go end of discussion
That means it does rated at 4 ohms. Big deal. Any amp can get a CEA rating.

As for the Hifonics vs Rockford. The Hifonics should put out more power and thats about it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.