Help increasing spl

GodsPlague
10+ year member

Hey i am running a 9512 dual 2 off a sundown 1500 and a xs975 battery in a 2010 civic coupe. Hit 142.9 the other day with music. Looking for any advice or help on things to do to add some numbers. Tryin to get to 150 =P

Already planning on replacing the xs battery with a bigger one and a sundown 2000.

Had a dd authorized dealer make my box for me tuned for 35hz, but was recommended to go ahead and get a box from dd to get some more kick out of it.

Some ppl say its louder to have the sub and port facing the trunk rather than the front, anyone got any real knowledge on that truth?

let the comments fly!

Well you will need more than that saz2000d to reach that number especially in a trunk. I would look into a saz3500d or possibly 2 of them & strap them. Just my opinion.

9500 series are only rated at like 6000 max, wouldnt two saz3500d's be a bit much? heard of the term strapping the amps but never known exactly what it meant, and thankfully i can put the back seats down.

Buy a termlab if you are serious, otherwise you'll never know what things hurt you and help you.

Most likely you're going to have to build a handful of boxes to try different sizes, layouts, and specs, so get ready to buy a lot of MDF.

Gaining spl isn't easy, especially if you are trying to up your score a few db.

Never made my own boxes but really wantd to learn. Have yet to find anyone around here to teach me and its hard to build something and not have someone next to you saying its right or wrong, heh. How big of a 2nd batt would i probably need

I've had mixed results with sub and port aiming in sedans, the only way to know for sure is to spin the box around and test.

I can say for 100% sure you'll need to tune HIGH if you want to put up big numbers. Honstely I find tuning even at 40 rather unsatisfying for my musical listening, but it's well above there that you'll get your huge peaks. Personally I find 130db at 20hz feels much more impressive than 145 at 50.

My .02$ is to tune at 45 or 50 with a big ass port if you want to put up impressive numbers....take it from a guy who just spent a day and 100$ worth of materials building a box to double the ammount of subs and double the ammount of power for NO peak gain at all on the meter for the sake of 7 or 8 hz

Most people who do extreme SPL throw WAY more power at a woofer than it's "rated" to handle, but only for about 3 seconds.

i have too many things to list man.. just pm me specific questions.. for starters you need a hand made box tuned to a good note witht he right size port.. you need more power and more batts and maybe an alt. port toward truck, speaker toward trunk.. 8ga speaker wire minimum.. 1/0 power and gound.. need a term lab for testing better to find someone with one because mine was 700$.. Dynamat never hurts.. i use fatmat rattle trap.. its just as thick and twice as cheap.. lots of other stuff.. just hit me up

I've had mixed results with sub and port aiming in sedans, the only way to know for sure is to spin the box around and test.
I can say for 100% sure you'll need to tune HIGH if you want to put up big numbers. Honstely I find tuning even at 40 rather unsatisfying for my musical listening, but it's well above there that you'll get your huge peaks. Personally I find 130db at 20hz feels much more impressive than 145 at 50.

My .02$ is to tune at 45 or 50 with a big ass port if you want to put up impressive numbers....take it from a guy who just spent a day and 100$ worth of materials building a box to double the ammount of subs and double the ammount of power for NO peak gain at all on the meter for the sake of 7 or 8 hz

Most people who do extreme SPL throw WAY more power at a woofer than it's "rated" to handle, but only for about 3 seconds.
Tuning high isn't necessarily the answer. If the OP really wants to hit high numbers, first he would have to find his vehicles resonant frequency and build around that number.

My truck peaks in the low 40's.

DD 9500s can take more than 6K for a burp and more than their rated rms daily.

Find your resonant freq and tune your box to that, build your own box, sub and port back will most likely be the best bet or both facing forward, sealed off. Deaden your trunk if facing the rear, 45's in the corners of the box.

A 50 in the trunk with one 12 could be hard to get to.

first place I would start is with power. if you are hardcore then go with the 3500 amp or maybe a DD M3 or M4. another option would be to recone to d .5 and put a 1500 on each coil. another way would be to strap a second 1500, would be the least expensive option.

Once you have the power then start to play with boxes and positions in the trunk, we have a guy with a 96 civic and he found my 9510 did best fired at the side of the car pushed all the way to the back.

42 is loud in that car.

My little honda sure has hell flexes so I am putting in the home depot version of dynomat right now, it works just as good as the real dynomat and at a fraction of the cost. Alot of people say the stuff smells or falls off but the days out here are hot as hell and in a black car everything has stayed in one place just fine with minimal smell for maybe a day after installing.

I think the first thing i am going to do is get ahold of another saz1500 and then upgrade the 2nd battery. What would u recommend for enough power to handle them? Or would it be better to get 2 smaller batteries like a two 2000?

Bragg pawn down the road from me has a term lab so i can sit over there for a while and test the box positions to see what happens.

Dont laugh for me asking this but if i have my power running to a T splitter which runs to my kicker amp and the other end to my 2nd battery connected to my sundown, would the kicker amp be pulling from my second battery and i need to get a distrobuter block or does it not work that way.

Thanks for all the help!

Have the battery sitting behind the rear seats off to the side behind the box. Port and sub facing trunk. I have the sundown running off the 2nd bat and the kicker running off my front battery, figured it would have been a better idea to do it that way instead of having the kicker pull from my second battery and have it reserved for the sundown basically

and lol @ the dust caps and duct tape?

already have the carbon fiber dust cap on it

My little honda sure has hell flexes so I am putting in the home depot version of dynomat right now, it works just as good as the real dynomat and at a fraction of the cost. Alot of people say the stuff smells or falls off but the days out here are hot as hell and in a black car everything has stayed in one place just fine with minimal smell for maybe a day after installing.

Thanks for all the help!
for the love of god do not use peal and seal. You will regret this down the road.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.