Help on a bet....please!!

NW Jeeper

A buddy of mine bet me that a pair of Quinn QE693s are of the same quality if not better than the stock Infinity 6X9 front door speakers I have in my 2008 Dodge Ram. Knowing Infinity is typically a mid to higher end product and the fact that I had never heard of "Quinn" before, I took the bet. He said all stock speakers are garbage and the Quinn's have to be as good if not better. My stock sound system sounds pretty darn good so I find that very hard to believe.

Could someone please help resolve this bet, thanks any/all input is very appreciated, win or lose.....

Take care.

I've never heard of Quinn Acoustics. Having looked them up they don't have many reviews, but the ones they do have seem to be positive. Their prices seem to be inline with entry-level "decent" speaker offerings from the mainstream brands (above ****-tier brands, but far below what any SQ guy would touch) - inline with the lower offerings from Infinity, Kicker, Alpine, Kenwood, Polk, Pioneer, Sony, JBL etc. They don't look phenomenal and their power handling is nothing special. Frankly I'd go with any of the ones I listed before I tried Quinn only because I've never heard them or even heard of them.

On the other hand, I think you've put too much stock in the Infinity Brand. Their Kappa series is decent and would be considered better than most of the crap you'd find at Walmart or Best Buy. In this regard they're a mid to higher end product, but pit them against the big boys like Focal, Morel, Rainbow, CDT, ID, etc - even their lesser offerings leave Infinity in the dust. Worse yet, I doubt whatever stock Infinity branded speakers are in your doors are even comparable to Infinity's lowest aftermarket offering. Dodge made a car, the stereo system is an afterthought.

Now which is better? Depends on what qualifies as better, but I think any half-decent aftermarket speaker should outshine a stock system, at least on a standalone amp and not on a head unit. If they were both powered on a head unit it's a crapshoot. Just my two cents.

Factory "Infinity" speakers aren't even close to the low end aftermarket Infinity you would get at Best Buy or Crutchfield... if you removed them and looked at the size and build quality you would be VERY disappointed.

That said I've heard some absolutely awful sounding aftermarket speakers. So while rather anemic in build quality and power handling, I wouldn't be surprised if the stock Infinity sounded better (on low power) than a lot of the low tier brand aftermarket stuff out there.

You're comparing Dog crap to Cat poop at this point. Which one stink worse comes down to the nose. Personally I'd place my bet on the quinn. Stock speakers just never hold to their name.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.