help with 5901 install

dirtysouth31
10+ year member

how much?
i have the viper 5901 alarm/remote start..the alarm is installed perfectly but im having a issue with the starter..i installed a remote starter a couple years ago so when i bought the new 5901 i unistalled the first one and now i cant sem to get this one going..has anybody installed the 5901 or hell any new viper remote start on a 2001 jeep grand cherokee?kinda fuzzy on some of the wording on the viper system..any help would be appreciated

what exactly is the problem you're having?

basic stuff, you MUST plug in the switch with black wires and leave it on, and you must select auto tranny in the options, the default iirc is manual.

did that stuff just need to check the wires from 5901 to starter wires on harness..5901 has a couple misleading wiring explanations that i just cant get a grasp on..if somebody already has installed one i need what color wire went to what..what its doing now is when you hit the remote start the dash lights come on and accesories but doesnt crank.just sits and retries a couple times and than says on my lcd that there is a remote starter error

ok are you sure the bypass is connected and programmed correctly?

from the alarm, reds go to power, pinks ignition, orange acc, purple start. If doing starter kill, the purple goes to the starter side, green to key side. Are you using virtual tach? or did you run tach or are you doing tachless?

is the right pink wire hooked up? pink is ignition, pink/white is second ignition or second accessory and pink/black is not needed. recheck all the wiring make sure the starter wire is sending voltage out of the brain. i have seen starter outputs die on the relay pack.

is the right pink wire hooked up? pink is ignition, pink/white is second ignition or second accessory and pink/black is not needed. recheck all the wiring make sure the starter wire is sending voltage out of the brain. i have seen starter outputs die on the relay pack.
yep the pink and black is not being used..no i didnt check for voltage..and i wasnt quite shure what the hell flex relay means on the 3 red wires..but when i hit the remote it turns on the lights on dash,the bell dings and accesories turn on but it doesnt crank..when it tries 3 times it says remote starter error and flashes 8 times..its saying that the neutral safety wire is the problem,,i cant ground it anymore than it allready is so m y next thought is the transponder bypass is at fault..work on the starter i had in before the swap..dei tech support told me to put key in ignition and try to remote start it and if it starts than its the bypass,,but it stillo dont do nothin..autotransmision has also bet setup through the valet switch,fasctory is manual

OK so when you RS the key on the dashboard does NOT flash, correct? if correct, you're right its not the bypass.

use a DMM or test light and make certain the starter output from the brain is putting out 12v when it needs to.

Do you have the tack wire installed or are you tying to use voltage sence? If you are going to be using voltage sence you will have to program the unit. If you have the tack wire hooked up are are planing on using it you will have to program the tack signal. Also is the starter engaging at all and it just will not turn over or is the start not engaging?

trying to use tachless.tried to program by starting the vehicle and within 5 seconds press and hold the valet button and its supposed to stay solid within a few seconds but its not doing it..just had a brain fart and think that may be the problem..will check later and see if that works

trying to use tachless.tried to program by starting the vehicle and within 5 seconds press and hold the valet button and its supposed to stay solid within a few seconds but its not doing it..just had a brain fart and think that may be the problem..will check later and see if that works
You don't start the car. Turn the key to ignition and then turn it off. Hold down the valet switch for a few seconds and you will hear the horn or alarm chirp. (if you need to access menu two keep holding the switch until it chirps twice) Once you are in the menu you want release the valet switch. Next, find the feature you are wanting to change (let's say option 6) you will press and release the valet switch 6 times and then hold it (one-release.......three-release.........six-release-hold(right after you release it on the sixth time you will push it again and hold it)) The alarm will chirp the amount of times to correspond to the menu you are in. Continue to hold the valet switch and using the key remote press the button that corresponds to the function you are trying to change. The alarm will chirp again to confirm your setting. Release the valet switch, put the key in the igniting an turn the key to ignition. The alarm will sound and just turn the car off and you are good to go.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.