Help with port length

Participant count
  • Participant list

DUAL10S
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
TX
Using the round port calculator on the12volt.com.

When entering the box volume (vb)... is that value internal volume and displacement? I think from the forumla it is internal but anyway...will the sub displacement make that much difference?

On a side note, when measuring the port length (bigass ports) is the length from outside of flare to outside flare or just the tube section.

Probably newb questions but my first venture with a ported enclosure. Doing a psi bass line 15 in 5cuft tuned to 30hz. 600-800 Wrms. Last, do i need to do anything with the subsonic filter?

Thanks

Using the round port calculator on the12volt.com.
When entering the box volume (vb)... is that value internal volume and displacement? I think from the forumla it is internal but anyway...will the sub displacement make that much difference?

On a side note, when measuring the port length (bigass ports) is the length from outside of flare to outside flare or just the tube section.

Probably newb questions but my first venture with a ported enclosure. Doing a psi bass line 15 in 5cuft tuned to 30hz. 600-800 Wrms. Last, do i need to do anything with the subsonic filter?

Thanks
I see nobody has responded yet... I have no experience with the round port calculator on the12volt.com.... sorry... the Biga$$ ports either... but the length of an aero can be found by 1/2 the front flare radius to 1/2 the rear flare radius... like this...

PORoh67.jpg

Just out of curiosity... are you looking for some LOW bass?.. a 30hz tune suggests that you are... this is how it looks in a 5ft3 net tuned to 30hz... that BASS-line sub is peaky at 40-50 no matter what... It's -3db at 24hz... that's pretty low... but it seems to play the higher notes stronger... + 6db at 49hz... that's a 6" aero, 12 1/2" long... good for about 600-700 watts "true"... that's a 800 wmrs amp to get to 600-700 in that box... take a look...

c45ZjP.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Thanks shredder...
That exactly what i was looking for.
Ok man... take a look above^^^

Don't forget to set your subsonic filter, generally a few Hz below tuning, A bit of search would find lots on subsonic filter.

Thanks shredder,

Mostly dubstep but anything thats got the LOW bass. I picked the 6” port to keep the length down. think the 8” would work side ported and the 10” was going to be too long. What size, length and tuning would you recommend?

I won’t pretend to understand the graph but i don’t think what i have is going to play as low as what im after.

Third reply attempt so gonna be awkward if the other two show up...lol

Thanks again

Thanks shredder,
Mostly dubstep but anything thats got the LOW bass. I picked the 6” port to keep the length down. think the 8” would work side ported and the 10” was going to be too long. What size, length and tuning would you recommend?

I won’t pretend to understand the graph but i don’t think what i have is going to play as low as what im after.

Third reply attempt so gonna be awkward if the other two show up...lol

Thanks again
What is your available space?... measurements?... What car?.. amp?.. how you gonna load it (the amp)?... you lookin for low notes huh?.. what is LOW to you?.. Decaf low?

Going in a 2015 renegade limited. Keeping oem deck and speakers (sounds pretty good for now). Can do a 36x18x20 box, leaves 3-4 inches gap to the hatch lid.

Orion 650.1d and a audio control lc2i will be here next week. Expecting the sub the week after. Will be on factory alt (160a). Just got the power run (80 amp mini anl) and ground in today. Both 4g.

As far a low notes go (lol)...just want a good balance for dubstep and rap for daily. Not looking to flex the windshield but not above that either. Just want the most bang for the buck out of the psi 15. Did have to get the power upgrade to get the d2 ohm config. So bumps the sub up to 750 wrms.

Appreciate ya spending time on this...

That Orion 650.1 will probably deliver a touch over 500 into this box... you'll need a 1000 watter to get 750 to the sub... at that point a 6' aero will be a good idea... so I took a stab at this... around 4.75 ft3, 6" aeroported at 12" long... that's tuned to about 30-31 hz...

That's sub up/ port back... like this...

7U2wt6n.jpg

Here it is in Torres box calculator...

CBrXNh.jpg

I'm just tryin to help... good luck!... that's a LOW tune BTW... I hope it's what you want

Remember to figure the port length like above... otherwise it'll be a lower tune... hope it helps!

Single baffle... brace it with 1.5" dowels

Wow...i was just wondering how a red box would look with the port in the jeep. Jeep is red btw...and that would look sick as hell in there.

Really appreciate ya doing that.

Last question, i ran 4 type r 12’s sealed with two facing up and two facing forward. Rattled the hell out of the top of the cab in a dodge quad-cab (didn't really like that). Can i expect the same thing if i fire the sub up in that config...What if i fire the sub forward or backwards and have the port up?

Wow...i was just wondering how a red box would look with the port in the jeep. Jeep is red btw...and that would look sick as hell in there.
Really appreciate ya doing that.

Last question, i ran 4 type r 12’s sealed with two facing up and two facing forward. Rattled the hell out of the top of the cab in a dodge quad-cab (didn't really like that). Can i expect the same thing if i fire the sub up in that config...What if i fire the sub forward or backwards and have the port up?
It's in a small SUV correct?... sub up port back seems to work the best

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.