Help With some Focal KRX2's.

got-one-eight
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I have an 04 dodge ram with some Focal KRX2's that sound pretty good but I believe the tweets might be in a bad location. They are up high on the pillar about ear level which puts them pretty close to me. They are a little to bright and I even considered going to Morel Hybrid set for a warmer sound. The local shop recommended I keep the focals ( didnt even purchase from them ) and said bring it by for a listen. The installer said to get the tweeters further down the pillar or put them in the stock location firing up at the windshield. He said the tweets are currently dominating the sound and not accenting the mids like the should. Any thoughts? X-over is already -6 on tweets. My setup is as follows...

Alpine 9887

Imprint Sound Manager (still playing with this)

Focal 6.5" KRX2

--JL Audio 300/2 V2

JL 8" W7 ported 33hz

--JL Audio 500/1 V2

Dynamat extreme all over

Any pics of your tweeter location? I think they are close to your ear and just experiment what is the best location before doing the final install. What's the freq setting on your EQ? Try to lower the gain in your amps if you are running active or lower the tweeter x-over to -6db if using the passive x-over.

I am at -6 passive. Gains have been lowered and set per JL specs. The gain setting seems a little conservative. Using the Imprint tune with the mic etc makes it sound like its firing out of a tin can. The woofer setting on the x-over is set to mid flat I think and not mid high. I will get a picture tonight and post it. Thanks for the reply!

Found a pic of my older K2P tweets installed. Should they be lower or in the dash firing up from the stock location?

DSCN2735.jpg

Definitiely a bit lower and aiming into the middle of the windshield. This will give the sound some time to mature before reaching your ears. I would say move it down another 3-4 inches.

Definitiely a bit lower and aiming into the middle of the windshield. This will give the sound some time to mature before reaching your ears. I would say move it down another 3-4 inches.
Ok, so 3-4" lower and rotate the tweeter inward more so its aiming more at the middle of the windshield? I can give that a shot. I found replacement pillars for 90$ new shipped which sux but I dont mind cutting these up to find the right location. I assume dash firing up from stock location is bad idea?

Also the focal's have a flange that is supposed to help direct the sound somewhat. Do I have them spun the right way? This is how the installer did it. I spun it the other way and it seemed to make them a bit brighter which I didnt like.

They are made to be able to be spun, you should play with that also. I have the K2P's if you go Morels let me know might be interested in your KRX's

I will play with them tonight and see if moving the tweet down helps.
I found this pic. Is this to low?

http://media.photobucket.com/image/dynaudio+242/moob2008/Toyz/004.jpg?o=1
Why not just move them around without making the holes first to find the ideal spot for them? Yes, they might stick out a bit but I think you would have a better idea as to where to place them. Actually, since you are buying new pillars use the existing ones and make holes at different locations to find a suitable location before you install the new pillars.

Why not just move them around without making the holes first to find the ideal spot for them? Yes, they might stick out a bit but I think you would have a better idea as to where to place them. Actually, since you are buying new pillars use the existing ones and make holes at different locations to find a suitable location before you install the new pillars.
That is exactly what I am doing lol. I have already made one set of holes about 4" lower then my others and it sounds better already. The highs and mids are starting to blend better. I will try this out for a couple days then make another set of holes lower and see how that sounds.

aim them away from the glass, keep the on axis with the mids.. if there passive you cant really twwet them with TA so blending won't be ideal...
I have some telling me to aim them into the window and some telling me to aim them at each other. I also have heard the Focal are ok being off axis? So many opinions. Anyone who runs focals have some thoughts? I think I got them low enough. The only other thing would be to change the angle.

aim them away from the glass, keep the on axis with the mids.. if there passive you cant really twwet them with TA so blending won't be ideal...
He should aim them towards the glass. Where you have them now is good but you should be test fitting these first before cutting the wholes. Use double stick tape or something listen to it and then after you've tested it then you should do the final install

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.