holy sh!t... JLs selling direct?

Thanks, I had it backwords. Everything but the bolts
The fact that you dont know enough to have realized you read it wrong, and really thought they made their own bolts... just shows your experience in mechanical design.
Do you even know how to make a screw or bolt? I did read somewhere that they had to make everything for the sub.
I think the real question here is, do YOU. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
Im a mechanical engineer. I work with fasteners, and fasteners companies, regularly. As a matter of fact, I DO know what it takes to make your own fasteners. That is why, without looking, I knew your claim of 'even every screw' was preposterous, and being proposed by someone who hasn't got an f'ing clue what he is talking about.

Great, the kid that just learned companies dont make their own bolts, is giving us advice on speaker design and general engineering. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

The fact that you dont know enough to have realized you read it wrong, and really thought they made their own bolts... just shows your experience in mechanical design.
I think the real question here is, do YOU. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Im a mechanical engineer. I work with fasteners, and fasteners companies, regularly. As a matter of fact, I DO know what it takes to make your own fasteners. That is why, without looking, I knew your claim of 'even every screw' was preposterous, and being proposed by someone who hasn't got an f'ing clue what he is talking about.

Great, the kid that just learned companies dont make their own bolts, is giving us advice on speaker design and general engineering. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif
Not everyone on this board is 16 yrs old and ridding there first rodeo. Thats great you have a degree in ME. I have that and my PE. Ive designed parts for jet engines, traveled the country for work, and seen a few things in car audio since SPL got big in the late 90's. Things have changed alot since I was big in car audio. Lots of new names and companies.

So chill I was wrong about the screws. The W7, and W6 are well made here in the USA. I agree the MSRP is terrible and its probably time for them to update the W7. When I started in car audio around 95' I hated JL because they where expensive and everyone thought they where so great. I had the first RF Power 12's at the time and did try some W6's. They couldent touch my Power's in SPL. At that time I was into RF, Audio Art, Crossfire, Pro Tech, and anything else that I could get for a good price.

Not everyone on this board is 16 yrs old and ridding there first rodeo. Thats great you have a degree in ME. I have that and my PE. Ive designed parts for jet engines, traveled the country for work, and seen a few things in car audio since SPL got big in the late 90's. Things have changed alot since I was big in car audio. Lots of new names and companies.
So chill I was wrong about the screws. The W7, and W6 are well made here in the USA. I agree the MSRP is terrible and its probably time for them to update the W7. When I started in car audio around 95' I hated JL because they where expensive and everyone thought they where so great. I had the first RF Power 12's at the time and did try some W6's. They couldent touch my Power's in SPL. At that time I was into RF, Audio Art, Crossfire, Pro Tech, and anything else that I could get for a good price.
No, not everyone on this board is inexperienced. My judgement was made not due to a pre-conceived bias, but based on your actual comments and attitude. For example, you say chill about the screws, but I honestly have to wonder how a professional engineer could even think a company that makes audio products would, literally, design/manufacture the bolts and screws. You say you designed jet engine parts... G.E.? Boeing? Who? Did they ask you to design the bolts too? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif I dont know, maybe engineers are just that hands-off these days that they lack the fundamental knowledge I take for granted.
Finally, I dont think anyone here is making the argument that the W6 and W7 aren't solid performers. You have been told more than once what set people off about your comments, yet you still dont get it.

...the forum bonner crap peolpe drool over here....If you want a great sub that gets loud and sounds great doing it get a W7. If you want a sub that just gets loud and sound good get spend less and get the chinesse basket crap.
I think its pretty obvious people in this thread were upset not by you building up the JL products, but by you arbitrarily attacking other popular brands here, and even the intelligence of forum members in general. Either you are pretending you are too dense to grasp this concept, or you really are that dense.

GE, PW, Airbus, RR so on. It all good. I am just having a hard time grasping the fact that the internet companies have done so well with what seems like the same componets used for each maufacture. I stayed away from CA for awhile because I was concerned I wouldent be able to hear by the time I was 40.

By the way I have had 4 different 2 door blazer's in my time. All with systems. A 89', 91', 94', and a 99 2 door tahoe. Great rides for systems. I also had a friend that had a the first 4 door tahoe(like 95') with 6 15" RF Power's. Hit 150db at the time. That was a big number at the time. Now kids get that with 2 12's.

No, not everyone on this board is inexperienced. My judgement was made not due to a pre-conceived bias, but based on your actual comments and attitude. For example, you say chill about the screws, but I honestly have to wonder how a professional engineer could even think a company that makes audio products would, literally, design/manufacture the bolts and screws. You say you designed jet engine parts... G.E.? Boeing? Who? Did they ask you to design the bolts too? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif I dont know, maybe engineers are just that hands-off these days that they lack the fundamental knowledge I take for granted.
Finally, I dont think anyone here is making the argument that the W6 and W7 aren't solid performers. You have been told more than once what set people off about your comments, yet you still dont get it.

I think its pretty obvious people in this thread were upset not by you building up the JL products, but by you arbitrarily attacking other popular brands here, and even the intelligence of forum members in general. Either you are pretending you are too dense to grasp this concept, or you really are that dense.

GE, PW, Airbus, RR so on. It all good. I am just having a hard time grasping the fact that the internet companies have done so well with what seems like the same componets used for each maufacture. I stayed away from CA for awhile because I was concerned I wouldent be able to hear by the time I was 40.
By the way I have had 4 different 2 door blazer's in my time. All with systems. A 89', 91', 94', and a 99 2 door tahoe. Great rides for systems. I also had a friend that had a the first 4 door tahoe(like 95') with 6 15" RF Power's. Hit 150db at the time. That was a big number at the time. Now kids get that with 2 12's.
The subs make look very similar on the outside, but that does not mean they ARE alike. As someone mentioned earlier, motor design lends itself to much of the performance characteristics of the driver, and much of the soft parts you mention must be tailored to fit the design intent of the speaker given this motor topology.
Some of these small companies HAVE designed their own custom parts. Look at what RE has done with much of their newest line. They had a design goal in mind, specifically xmax, and they designed the frame/motor/suspension to provide it.

Some of the larger companies have custom frames, unique looking designs... but does that custom RF fully enclosed basket automatically mean it performs better? No.

You assume too much based on looks and some marketing jargon. Stick around here a while and you'll better understand why so many of these small audio companies are making some really nice equipment.

I think its a good idea they are selling direct but the prices are still way to high for what you get. I was never impressed by any jl product for the money spent.

This guy claims to be so intelligent and qualified yet he argues and comments like an ignorant teenager...

The prices are crazy on those JL's and I would from experience take an RE/FI sub over a JL sub even for the same price personally. There is nothing like a 20.1 / XXX combo in my opinon for what its worth.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.