Hooking a computer up

Originally posted by HybridMike Hey Guys, I was surfing along and found this forum, My company is Hybrid Mobile Solutions... I was rather intrigued by the talk of the Computer for your car, this is going to come alot sooner than most of you might realize. We are Introducing a new product this year at SEMA, (Specialty Equipment Market Association) Part of which includes a dash mountable PC with DVD playback, TV and FM stereo receiver, MP3 w/ Thumbdrive, Voice Recognition, GPS Navigation, and a UXGA (1600 x 1200) Touch Screen. The computer itself has 4 USB ports, 2 1394 (firewire) Ports, Composite out, SVideo Out, 20 to 80gig HD, up to 512MB Ram 10/100/1000 Gigalan, 56k Modem, 16bit sound w/microphone input. This in conjunction with the Hybrid CECU, (Computer Enhanced Control Unit) and our own software to simplify the Front end operation, makes for a powerful system...our website is new and offers some information, but the best info is in our forum for now...we are in the prototype phase and expect a solid product available by Jan 04....any feedback is welcome, we are offering a partnership program so you could purchase the core cpu at a extremely discounted rate. thank you

Mike

Is this gonna be like a dash mounted laptop style computer or like an in dash HU style unit?

-Mac

Is this gonna be like a dash mounted laptop style computer or like an in dash HU style unit?

Right now its a 7"x4" High res touch screen that will fit in a double din mount, the cpu has the footprint of a CD Jewl case stacked 4 high...but we are in the process of finalizing a double din mount motorized indash all in one unit, which hopefully will be ready by November when we go to sema, otherwise we will use what we are using.

Originally posted by Woodmister eengrms where can I get that connector? Is it really only 2ish?
http://www.extremecomputing.com/svideorca.html

Here is an example of the cable. It's $4 here, but you might be able to find it cheaper. You can find them anywhere to be honest, Staples, Radio Shack, maybe even Best Buy or Circuit City?

Originally posted by HybridMike Right now its a 7"x4" High res touch screen that will fit in a double din mount, the cpu has the footprint of a CD Jewl case stacked 4 high...but we are in the process of finalizing a double din mount motorized indash all in one unit, which hopefully will be ready by November when we go to sema, otherwise we will use what we are using.
This sounds pretty cool. Do you have a website we can go to and look? I'm sure there will be some interest in this board for this product.

Originally posted by HybridMike Right now its a 7"x4" High res touch screen that will fit in a double din mount, the cpu has the footprint of a CD Jewl case stacked 4 high...but we are in the process of finalizing a double din mount motorized indash all in one unit, which hopefully will be ready by November when we go to sema, otherwise we will use what we are using.
That does sound pretty tight man. I personally think the idea of the dash mounted screen and the seperate cpu instead of the motorized screen. mount the cpu say in te glove box of the center console or the trunk and have a remote for it....i dont really like the motorized screen style even in the in dash dvd players now. so is this intended to run the whole audio system or integrate with factory/aftermarket systems?

-Mac

Yeah we have a website for you guys to look at. the best info is withen our forum, as the sites structure is still under construction....by the way the site is a full flash site so make sure you are using a high speed connection....some of the prototype cars are being documented as they are built, so I encourage anyone who is interested to sign up for our forum and give input....when we reach the market I want as much user input as possible....there are new developements on a daily basis, and we will try to keep the info coming into our site. Sorry I didnt post earlier but our server lost a drive yesterday, its been rebuilt and is working good now

http://www.hybridmobilesolutions.com

Oh yeah this is going to be intended to replace everything and be a one purchase solution "do all" However you will be able to do many things that are not possible with devices on the market today. and our target price range is well under what one might pay for an Alpine DVD indash....we are looking at a basic unit for around 1700.00 which is upgradeable from there. we will also be offering different packages that have features acustomed to specific groups...

im about to head over to your forum to check it out but i ha a question or a suggestion....since its going to replace everything you will be able to hook up external amplifiers to it right?

-Mac

yes, and we will offer a amplifier module as well for the CECU that will give you 50w x 2 if you just wanted simple solution! but yes this is intended for high end systems as well

Originally posted by HybridMike yes, and we will offer a amplifier module as well for the CECU that will give you 50w x 2 if you just wanted simple solution! but yes this is intended for high end systems as well
i would think that most people that are gonna be looking at this unit are gonna wanna run ther systems off external amplifiers. one way you could dump some size/weight/cost of the unit would be to just exclude an internal ampliier and give it a bunch of preamp outputs. say 4 channel full range + non fading sub out. just a thought.

-Mac

PS If you need anymore test cars feel free to throw one of those units in my car. I'd be happy to try it out for ya.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif :D

I gonna try to explain the main unit here.... what we have is a control unit that hooks up via USB to the PC, inside this CECU is a buss structure similar to that of PCI type cards....(much smaller though) the Basic unit would only be a power supply for the computer, (18vdc) with power consumption monitoring, this allows you to leave the PC on, when the battery starts to lose current, the pc is shut down automaticly...(approx. a day and a half, depending on your batterys current state) ....however if you wanted to add aditional cards that have specific applications you can do so without having to purchase new equipment...this gives the user a variety of options and flexibility as well as upgradeability. some of the expansion cards in production are: OBDII Diagnostic Engine management, Accelerometer (0-60, 1/4mi, Braking, and slalom), General Purpose I/O, Switching Relays, Analog Metering inputs..ie...(Rms metering, sensor readings), 2 Channel Amplifier cards...which can be stacked to make 4 or 6 channel...ect.. true most of you will use this for external amps, but we had to make this product "out of the box" friendly, just like when you buy a Alpine head unit, it has 4 speaker outputs...however they never get used when you use external amplification.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

PS If you need anymore test cars feel free to throw one of those units in my car. I'd be happy to try it out for ya.

What kind of car do you have?...we are offering the main pc and touchscreen at a significant discount in order to get prototype testing done...its a possibility:D

hey mike

you guys got a hell of a site there. i just registered for your forums. the whole thing has got me stoked on that little pc. sounds like its gonna be tight. hopefully we can work something out.

-Mac

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

edoggy88

edoggy88
orlando, fl
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
jonboy385