How box volume effects sound?

Participant count
  • Participant list

evil_lies

Texas
So I'm planning a sealed box for a single 10" sub. It's going in a Jeep Wrangler, so I'm trying to keep the size small since there isn't much space in the back. According to the spec sheet .75ft^3 is optimal, what I'm planning will give me .65ft^3. I think this will theoretically give me tighter bass and may not be quite as loud, is that correct?

Yea.. but if you can, go according to specs. What type of music do you listen to? As long as its not dubstep or rap, you should be fine with a .65 cube box. If you do listen to either of those, make a big ported box and sacrifice a little space. You can get a lot more out of a sub in a ported box, and don't need as much power.

I listen to a little of everything, mostly rock, hip hop and a little country. I'm not looking to be heard a block away, just fill in the bass and give it a little bump. Maybe I'll look into the ported box. It's going to be down firing, and I've read a sealed box is better for that application. I plan on making it easily removable, so maybe it won't be so bad to make it bigger.

The downfiring sealed box will be good for rock and country, but may be slightly lacking with hip hop. If you just want a little low end reinforcement, you're fine. If you absolutely can't make your sealed box to spec, toss in a little pollyfill or generic pillow stuffing. Its cheap and can make a surprising difference.

I was thinking polyfill could make up some of the difference. Would a ported box work on a down firing application? Or should I give up the down firing idea? From what I've read from other people with Jeeps the down fire is the way to go so the sound hits the floor, not directly into the open air (if that makes sense). The sub sounded great in the old box I had it in (I forgot the size though) but that was in a hatchback, I'm not sure what it will do in a soft top jeep much less when I put the top down.

A ported box would also work for down firing. If the floor is the only solid surface you can aim the sub at, go for it.

If there is a solid wall though, I would make a normal box with the sub on the side. You can fine tune your system by changing the distance between the box and wall. You could always make your down firing box, and turn it on its side if it sounds better, haha

I guess I could fire it at the tailgate or one if the sides. Just the downfiring method seems to be the most recommended. What I'm thinking is making it 9.5" tall x 10.5" deep x 16" wide (but adding an inch 1.5" to raise it a little) using 5/8 mdf. If I were to make the basic box first I guess I could just add "legs" to it later to get it off the floor if I still wanted to downfire it. If I do go ported, can I put the port on the same side the sub is mounted (I'm not too familiar with them).

Putting the port on the same side as the sub is the best option. If you do go with ported, don't expect it to be punchy. This is my warning to you

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.