How do I differentiate between two of the same colored stereo wires?

Participant count
  • Participant list

spaghetto15

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a ford focus 2007 wagon. The only true-to-life wiring diagram for my stereo that I could find was this: https://www.modifiedlife.com/2007-ford-focus-car-stereo-wiring-diagram/

In the car, there are multiple wires that all are coloured orange/black. On the site, it says that the radio accessory wire is orange/black, but it also says that a few other wires are also orange/black.

How am I supposed to differentiate between them? There are three orange/black wires, one of them being a bit fatter while the other two are comparatively slim.

--

For context, I am trying to hook up an amp to my factory stereo for a subwoofer, and currently need to tap into a wire for the remote turn on.

For context, I am trying to hook up an amp to my factory stereo for a subwoofer, and currently need to tap into a wire for the remote turn on.
It would be safer to use a multimeter to test those wires.
Are you using an line output converter? If you have not gotten one yet, I recommend an Audiocontrol lc2iPRO. It will reduce the signal and provide remote turn on. It also has a bass knob.

It would be safer to use a multimeter to test those wires.
Are you using an line output converter? If you have not gotten one yet, I recommend an Audiocontrol lc2iPRO. It will reduce the signal and provide remote turn on. It also has a bass knob.
I am using an loc yeah, but it’s a pretty cheap one without a remote wire or any knobs. Just two screws to adjust the loudness of both channels separately I think

I am using an loc yeah, but it’s a pretty cheap one without a remote wire or any knobs. Just two screws to adjust the loudness of both channels separately I think
I notice those work good when the vehicle has a regular radio, nothing too fancy. If that is the case, you should be fine. Just meter those wires to see if the key deactivates one of them.

I notice those work good when the vehicle has a regular radio, nothing too fancy. If that is the case, you should be fine. Just meter those wires to see if the key deactivates one of them.
The only meter I have seems to be broken so there goes that idea. I guess I'll just try the other wires of the same color.

I found a diagram on 12volt.com. It says Orange/black is the 12v constant and Yellow/black is the switched 12v. That would be your remote. You can pick up a decent multimeter for 50 bucks and that would save you some headache as well.

A meter is handy to have if you got a system hooked up...especially if you need to trouble shoot anything...

One thing I am lucky with the old man working at Mobil Oil for so long was all the free tools we got,lol. Still using a 300-400 dollar Fluke from there.

Klein has a good rep though for their products all around as they mainly do electrical components, wire, connectors, cutters and so on. We used a lot of Klein products at the alarm install place I used to work at.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...