How I sound deadened the doors of my 2006 Grand Caravan

Participant count
  • Participant list

JohnKuthe

CarAudio.com Veteran
Missouri
Here's the bare door under the plastic cover:

15289052_1220006404726504_3608018540954941354_o.jpg

First my installer guy did was put a bunch of Damplifier Pro on each doors outer doorskin. But the pic was before the Damplifier Pro was applied. This pic shows where the 6x9 speaker goes, you can see the four holes. With a small hole in the door inner sheet metal just above it.

15384398_1220006318059846_7927112078248272376_o.jpg

Those two big gaping holes were my first concern! I watched a youtube of some Second Skin sponsored shop guy making cool router table cut blocking panels for his door and RivNutting it on! VERY cool! I'm sure very effective too, but I thought I can do something kinda almost as good so I taped a piece of waxed paper over each of the two holes in the inner door holes and traced their shape on the waxed paper. Then I used that as a pattern to cut a piece of thin steel that shape!Then test fitted it on and trimmed accordingly.Then put 1/16" double sticky tape around the edges of the holes, pressed the metal patch plate on and nailed it down onto the foam tape with self tapping screws!

15370100_1220006391393172_3638502850057153731_o.jpg

15418461_1220006484726496_1588462072175575531_o.jpg

Then I had installer guy put BQuiet sound deadener on the inner door skins with the new hole patches!

15419625_1220006388059839_8471854364275910091_o.jpg

Here's installer guy rolling the BQuiet on! Almost done!

15384361_1220006471393164_3694286595509876270_o.jpg

All deadened: I was thinking of really extreme sound deadening by getting a bunch more Damplifier Pro because that stuff is amazing and deaden the outer door skins through the holes before blocking them then blocking one hole and through it sound deaden the INSIDE metal surface inside the door panel then more Damplifier Pro as shown with BQuiet on the outside. I was out of Damplifier! :-(

14715485_1220006338059844_6542971034188164279_o.jpg

Had installer guy install a full door sized sheet of Luxury Liner Pro to the inside of the plastic door cover! Works quite well!

Last edited by a moderator:
As you can see, no one cares.
But it's up here for all Caraudio.com posterity! And I'm proud of my door treatments. I saw that video and I really wanted that so I gave it my best shot. I learnt from it! :)

John Kuthe...

Just wait until that window stops working lol I'm gonna laugh so hard when it comes time to replace it....knowing all that crap you err I mean your installer guy put on there HAS to come off. I know because I did the same thing when I replaced the old lady's window regulator on her 2002 town and country. It was not fun/easy but got it fixed.

As you can see, no one cares.
Oh and title is lying....How my installer guy sound deadened my doors.
We worked together. I made the patch plates and he helped me install the metal hole blocking plates; he used his rechargable screwdriver to run the self tappers in! Teamwork!

He did most all the rest of the sound deadening. That was our contract, he was responsible for all sound deadening, I just bought the materials.

John Kuthe...

Just wait until that window stops working lol I'm gonna laugh so hard when it comes time to replace it....knowing all that crap you err I mean your installer guy put on there HAS to come off. I know because I did the same thing when I replaced the old lady's window regulator on her 2002 town and country. It was not fun/easy but got it fixed.
I will cross that bridge when I come to it!

John Kuthe...

I don't know why so much hate here. IMO this is the only part of that build that seems to be done correctly the first time and in a timely fashion .
Thanks man. Yeah I'm pretty pleased with the door treatments WE did.

Ego is why there's so much hate here. Lots of ego and testosterone here. Typical when a bunch of emotionally immature MALES congregate and start trying to "eat each other" metaphorically speaking. Sick sad and TRUE!

And you're pretty much dead on with the length of time this whole project has taken for me and my installer guy. Lots of stupid logistical problems, redesigns, changing plans mid-project, etc. And a certain amount of time wasting too. It was getting tiring for me and I'm sure for my installer guy too. But we finally got plans fleshed out, firmed up and finished, for now. After all, ALL projects in car audio are just "gud enuf for now". For all the denizens of Caraudio.com: how many times have YOU redesigned/rebuilt your car audio systems? It's kind of fun, eh? Yep, that's why we do this! Discovering new and cool equipment, methods, etc. But to sit back on our golden laurels and say "I have achieved the pinnacle of perfect in in car audio" is what many/some here seem to be operating from, which of course is BS! No matter where anyone's car audio system is at, there's always room for improvement!

John Kuthe...

I will cross that bridge when I come to it!
John Kuthe...
Not a big deal, just razor knife around the pieces you want to remove. I got an old 96 gmc truck and I got way more material than you do and these trucks go through door handles a lot inside and out so I have to do it fairly often lol ! Oh Ya and looks pretty good too. Did you do the inside of doors too ?

Not a big deal, just razor knife around the pieces you want to remove. I got an old 96 gmc truck and I got way more material than you do and these trucks go through door handles a lot inside and out so I have to do it fairly often lol !
Yep, that's what I was just thinking about. If I ever have to I will just rip out a lot to give the auto shop access to what they need access to, and then I will be able to buy more Damplifier Pro and do it all over again, even BETTER!

Oh Ya and looks pretty good too. Did you do the inside of doors too ?
Yep! Had my installer guy stick Damplifier Pro all over the inside of the outer door skin. Used BQuiet over the inside most skin because we ran out of the Damplifier Pro I had purchased and used the BQuiet stuff I had previously purchased, which works OK just not nearly as well as Damplifier Pro.

John Kuthe...

And I see now Facebook is a LOUSY place to host pics! D A M M I T!! :-(

I';ll have to find a better place to host my pics on the Internet. Tinypic used to work for me, then they changed something and now it doesn't work for me anymore!! :-(

John Kuthe...

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.