How much will box affect my system?

Outcome365

CarAudio.com Newbie
I want more bass and I was wondering if I change my box to a custom ported box how much better and louder it will be? If it is worth is how much should I pay for it?

I have a 2014 f150 xlt current sound system:
Jl audio 1000/1 for subwoofer
Jl audio 400/4 for door speakers
Jl audio tw3v3 12 x2
Jl audio c2 speakers and tweeters x4
In Sealed down-firing rhinobass box #FD-127 with .89 cubic feet air space each side of subwoofer
Lc7 line converter
All copper wire
(updated and will be updating)

(will provide pictures or measurements if requested has good room still left to expand)

Last edited:
I would prefer to have someone with expertise do it. The guy who first installed my system ripped me off and told me I was getting a ported box and put it in a sealed box and I didn't realize it because I am new to car audio. If I was to go get someone else to build it and install it how much should I pay?

Generally we have somebody like @Buck design it and just build it ourselves, having it done at a shop is really more dependant on labor prices in your area. Call around and get some quotes

You are going to have to take baby steps with me. What all should I ask for for side port/backport/tunned to 32 Hz for the subwoofer I believe?
Honestly it's what those guys do daily. Just tell them the sub, your goals, what it's going in, what room you have to work with. If they are worth half a **** should have no issue putting together a quote and design for you that you'll be able to discuss with them before they build it

Tuning a subwoofer box is dependent also on the type of music you listen to, the specifications of the box and so on. Buck can walk you through all that. He can design a box for you for a small fee incorporating everything that will affect including the car it is going in, space you have available, maker and parameters of the subwoofer along with how much power you will be using. He will ask for exact measurements of the area and pictures as well. You can then take that box design to someone who has a good rep locally and ask them how much to build that design.

I want more bass and I was wondering if I change my box to a custom ported box how much better and louder it will be? If it is worth is how much should I pay for it?

I have a 2014 f150 xlt current sound system:
Jl audio 1000/1 for subwoofer
Jl audio 500/1 for door speakers
Jl audio tw3v3 12 x2
Jl audio c2 speakers and tweeters x4
In Sealed down-firing rhinobass box #FD-127 with .89 cubic feet air space each side of subwoofer

(will provide pictures or measurements if requested has good room still left to expand)

I was searching for the Science of Making my Own SubBox for years
then I decided to search in English in the Internet.. the Result was not bad too much

I've found a site that you can design your own SubBox
What kind of sub sound you like ?? Low? High? Mid?

That wouldn't hurt. IF you do not have sufficient airspace for those woofers + properly designed port it will be a failure. And that's assuming the woofers are designed to function well in ported alignment at all.

Definitely a better sub to go sealed with. You can do these ported, as I’ve been forced to build ported boxes for people against my advice, I’ve done 2 ported boxes for these. They didn’t sound too bad in 2 cubes at 30 hz, but these subs weren’t really designed for ported application. That space would be better utilized by getting a different sub to put in the 2 cubes ported, or going with an optimized, well braced sealed enclosure. IMO. They do sound nice, but aren’t super loud in either enclosure. It’s more of a sub for me (old guy who’s done the bass head thing) than a bass head. Buck may have some insight on doing a t-line with this sub.

Am I the only one that noticed he is running 2 dvc 4 ohm subs on an amp that's only good to 2 ohms?
Which means he is only running at 4 ohms
That 1000 watt amp just became a 600 watt amp
I I know once you get up there 150 watts doesn't make much of a difference but the difference between 300 and 450-500 is pretty noticeable

Am I the only one that noticed he is running 2 dvc 4 ohm subs on an amp that's only good to 2 ohms?
Which means he is only running at 4 ohms
That 1000 watt amp just became a 600 watt amp
I I know once you get up there 150 watts doesn't make much of a difference but the difference between 300 and 450-500 is pretty noticeable
Fixed original parameters have an LC7 line converter. Also changed door amp from 500/1 ->400/4. (All copper wiring if y'all care)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.