I need a mid-high range amp and am not sure what to look for

CG Kid

Texas
I currently got a JVC head unit, aftermarket speakers (not sure what kind but I got them at $80 a pair), a Kicker DXA 500.1 amp, and two Rockford P2 12" subs.

What's happening is the bass is too strong for the speakers, the music is essentially drowned by the bass because it can't get loud enough. Also when I crank the volume the speakers start distorting a little bit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is because the speakers don't have enough power. I imagine the head unit doesn't deliver much power and the aftermarket speakers can handle more then what they're getting causing them to distort.

So on average what kind of additional power should be necessary? I can't imagine them needing more then 30w extra a piece but I could be wrong. Also, is there a good budget 4 channel amp designed just for mid-high range? Looking to spend $200 at most. I tried google, but it's harder to find then I thought it would be.

After I install it is it ok to just play with the gain to get the level right? I'm not sure what the speakers are they sound great just underpowered.

I currently got a JVC head unit, aftermarket speakers (not sure what kind but I got them at $80 a pair), a Kicker DXA 500.1 amp, and two Rockford P2 12" subs.
What's happening is the bass is too strong for the speakers, the music is essentially drowned by the bass because it can't get loud enough. Also when I crank the volume the speakers start distorting a little bit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is because the speakers don't have enough power. I imagine the head unit doesn't deliver much power and the aftermarket speakers can handle more then what they're getting causing them to distort.

So on average what kind of additional power should be necessary? I can't imagine them needing more then 30w extra a piece but I could be wrong. Also, is there a good budget 4 channel amp designed just for mid-high range? Looking to spend $200 at most. I tried google, but it's harder to find then I thought it would be.

After I install it is it ok to just play with the gain to get the level right? I'm not sure what the speakers are they sound great just underpowered.
Just keep the gains low, you'll know when you are stressing out the speakers. This gives you headroom for any future upgrades or if you want to go active crossover setups. Small enough to fit under a passenger seat.

Amazon.com: Precision Power P900.4 900-Watt Phantom Series Class D Full Range 4-Channel Amplifier: Car Electronics

They are not distorting from not having enough power. If that was the case they would be distorting before since they would have even less power.

PPI P-900.4 is a good proven performer.

A good amp will Improve your sound and bass response. But, if you just have to much bass, just turn your bass down with your eq.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.