In need of some help?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi I am here as a last resort and need some help I have a 99 Saturn sl1 and I have tried 3 different system set ups and can't seem to get my problem solved. The problem is I am getting signal volt/sound feed back to my amp. A.k.a as the bumb sound you get from the sub from when the amp first gets turned on and reseves and audio signal. I have tried running the REM different and tried new RCA cables I have run it so the REM and the power are on one side of the car and the RCA are on the other side. I have tried 3 different ground methods but the one that always fixes this problem in most cases I can't do and that to have the sub grounded to the seat belt bolt and in the 99 saturns they do not have the seat belt bolt everything is welded. So I have the next best thing and that the trunk latch bolt. I have tried making a whole new ground without any luck of that fixing the problem I have tried running a new ground for the head unit as well and have tried 3 different head units as well with no luck. I have tried several different subs as well I have tried everything. And can't get the problem solved now normally this wouldn't bother me to much as I have been doing this for 8 years and have had this problem happen but have been aboul to solve the problem. But with this problem I have gone through 3 amps YES 3 they all fried and so have a few subs from this problem causing the amp to malfunction. And I just got a new zx750.1 and I really don't want to fri this beast. I am running 4 gage kicker power. With no capacitors. So I have roled out all problems that could cause this and now am hoping you guys can give me some suggestions that I have not tried if there is any. Thanks.

hmm, what are you using to feed audio into the system? like an ipod through an auxilary? have you tried using a c.d. ? it could also be making that humming noise if your gain is too high. What are you using to set your gain?

Its hard to determine what the noise your hearing is through the internet lol, but it could possibly be a ground loop noise, which in some severe casses could be caused by an old battery or bad alternator.

Also it wasnt really clear in the original post, but did you have your amp grounded to a spot that made this noise go away?

It's not a humm it's a bumb or thud when the amp turns on and it's any amp I have tried and it don't matter if there is any music comming from the head unit it only dose it when the amp turns on or if the amp is still on and the head unit is off it still dose it. And it is only 1 thump. And yes I have tried the amps in other cars were there is no thump or bumb like I said its really strange I have never had it happen in any of the other cars I have done this in in the last 8 years I have been doing this.

Here are some things to try; Isolation & Identification

1. Remove the RCA cables from the amp, TEST.

2. With RCA connected at amp, disconnnect from radio, TEST.

3. Scrapping paint off the vehicle body, install a new ground directly to body, Do not use vehicle bolts or metal body panels (ones not part of the original frame. TEST

4. Use different RCA Cables, TEST

Once you know where its coming from we can help you w/ a solution. such as;

1. Have you tried grounding the external ring (ground) of you RCA cables to radio chasis.

2. Why are you running your remote wire seperate from power, why not run you RCAs seperate from power. Just because RCA's are shielded doest make them immune. (condoms: 99%, and that miniscule 1% LIFE CHANGER!)

3. You've changed amps and change HU and still problems. Sounds like a bad install or. What powers your amp remote wire?

3a. You've Fried 2 Amps (deduced from first post) this is a sign somethings not write. low ohms, low power, imporper gain/bass setting.

Ok we'll as u see when the RCA are not connected to Eather or one or the other the sound goes a way there for you would think the RCA are the problem but yet when I use the RCA on another vehicle there is no thump or bumb. So with that being said they can't be the problem and I only have the REM not hacked up to the head units amp out put is because I was testing and that didn't change anything Eather. Now I know what I am doing when it comes to wiring I have been doing it for 8 years so I do have so experience. And here is how everything is hacked up not with doing a lot of trial and fail the power wire is hacked up to the battery positive terminal then run through the car on the left side to trunk. Then the REM. is hucked up to the REM. out put on my head unit and then run also on the left side of the car to trunk then the RCA are run from the head unit to the right side of the car were there is no other power wires at all. Then they are all hucked up to the amp now the ground has been mounted several different places one was custom spot I made and it was in the trunk and yes all paint was sanded from area. Right not it is to the trunk lach it is the only place left and I also sanded all the paint off there as well. And there for it is hucked up right now as for my question you say to ground out the RCA how do you do that just take a wire and stip it wrap it around the RCA ground ring then to the chassy that sound a little bit riged. But if it works good if it doesn't then I still have no idea what to do. And for the reference the chassy is not really a good ground do to it is all sheet metal welded together and not a direct connection to the fram even though the chassy is bolted to the fram in some way.

Like I said though I have tested the RCA now could it be the RCA outs on the head units I have used?
maybe , i had the same issue with my system ,soon as i powered up my system i would get a single bump from the subs ,i pulled the rca's from the amp and ran my ipod direct and no bump ,so i narrowed it down to 1 side of my rca's to the sub amp ,ran a new rca and all gone now.it might just be a slight pinch in the wire or an area where it was cut or split on the inside jacket

My first thought would be RCAs also, as Ive had issues with in the past.Although there may be an issue with the HU as well,with the remote output also, as I had an issue with one doing this in the past,making the loud thump do to the amps not turning off by that remote wiring/stayed juiced up.At that time, I did not have the funds to buy another HU, and decided to use a relay, instead, and that seemed to work just fine for the duration.Later swapped the HU out , and never had another issue.But, Id check the rcas as mentioned First, could very well be that simple?

Well so far some good news I just got my new alpine 133 and it is working without any thump or bumbs so I will post if anything changes but I will also add I only have changed the head unit and NOT the RCAs lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.