Installs

Participant count
  • Participant list

jrmax
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
oklahoma
If you guys say installs are the biggest part of the system then how do I know if i am getting a good install and who is qualified to do it. Plus i want to put my subs in the hatchback holder of my firebird hitting towards the front. So when you guys say install do you mean wiring positions and things of that nature or is it boxes and locations help please.

Every factor is important when installing equipment. You must have an airtight, solid box if you're going with a sealed enclosure. Wiring the amp, don't run the power wire along the RCA cable as it will cause unwanted noise/humming.

If a professional is installing the components they should know how to wire everything and if you're not satisfied tell them and they should fix any problems if they want you to return to their store.

With a hatchback, positioning the subs upward or towards the rear is probably your best bet.

Doing so will fill the cab more thoroughly and the bass will sound deeper and cleaner. Forward facing you will hear every bit of distortion the subs put out and they WILL distort at high volume levels.

The difference is the distortion in rear or upward facing subs is less audible and actually sounds like bass. You'll be able to use more power and play much louder without hearing distortion.

Thanks for the insite but in a firebird you have the back seat and huge level flooring and then the ttop holder and if i want them to face backwards how do i do that and still see out the rear window? So basically it is a bad idea to face them toward the front! Well thanks alot!

Is that possible I have no clue what is under the carpet back there is it metal or what I will look at it and try to tell but that would work with me as long as I dont have to cut any metal out so i dont get loud out of car noise!

Allright, what year of Firebird was this again?

The raised area in the hatch is raised for a reason- to allow clearance for the Rear end and in some cases the independant rear suspension. Your likely area to install the subs is in the storage compartment right at the rear. It should be about 2 ft deep and about 18" wide and approximately 58-60" wide. Those are just rough measurements, however that area should provide enough space for a decent multi sub set up capable of impressive output. In the Firebird, due to the limited hatch space; Aiming the subs up or forward is likely the better option. Typically in hatchbacks aiming the subs towards the rear does give a better resonse, however, the firebird has a few too many constraints- especially if you value your rear vision. As always, just make sure that your Subs are powered clean and crossed over at the appropriate level.

Take it easy,

-zane

Thanks alot as long as you think it will sound decent facing forwards then I am happy but putting them backwards would give me 0 visibility and I think I would get ticketed! My backseat folds down I wanted to stay away from it but could I mount it one the back of the backseat facing up on a platform that will level it off with the hatch flooring and face the backwards at about a45-60 degree angle? Oh it is a 96 firebird! Thanks guys!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jrmax

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
jrmax
oklahoma
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date