Is my amp strong enough

Rebeljoe95

So I just recently bought a KICKER Comp TC 10 SVC loaded enclosure and a KICKER DX250.1

my Sub is 4ohm with an RMS of 150 but my amp is 250 watts at 2ohm and 140watts at 4ohm. Is my amp technically strong enough and can i continue to use it? I have noticed my amp gets very hot I'm not really sure how hot is too hot, It has FIT integrated into it and it hasn't shut off on me yet but i don't want to burn up my amp.

I am new to the car audio market I'm not looking to go crazy but at some point I will probably buy another loaded enclosure for my Tacoma.

Kicker subs are junk you could have got a lot better for your money kicker amps are decent but pricey new. Sounds like you have a bad ground or loose connection somewhere if it is getting hot.

So I just recently bought a KICKER Comp TC 10 SVC loaded enclosure and a KICKER DX250.1 my Sub is 4ohm with an RMS of 150 but my amp is 250 watts at 2ohm and 140watts at 4ohm. Is my amp technically strong enough and can i continue to use it? I have noticed my amp gets very hot I'm not really sure how hot is too hot, It has FIT integrated into it and it hasn't shut off on me yet but i don't want to burn up my amp.

I am new to the car audio market I'm not looking to go crazy but at some point I will probably buy another loaded enclosure for my Tacoma.
Do not get loaded enclosures, they are the worst of the worst. Your current setup is getting hot because you are probably clipping the amp with improper gain settings because you probably arent satisfied with the bass performance at the correct gain level.

My Gain is almost all the way down its not even close to half way up. I also have a very solid ground using 4 gauge wire. My sub sounds good as long as i keep my gain down if i turn it up it starts to distort the sound but i have it down. I've also heard a lot of talk about KICKER being crap but it seems to sound good. I'm just trying to avoid damaging the amp and the fact it is getting so hot in about an hour of use

Also I am very limited on space so the reason for buying the loaded enclosed was because i knew it would fit and it already came with a sub installed.

I set my gains by turning the volume to 30 and turning my gain up till it started to distort then turned it down just enough so it didn't sound distorted

I set my gains by turning the volume to 30 and turning my gain up till it started to distort then turned it down just enough so it didn't sound distorted
It's a little amp and is intended to be used for very modest bass levels. I'm sure you want to bump a little and probably pushing it to its limits. Amps lose energy to heat, so getting hot is normal. Amps have protection circuitry in place, so it should kick in if it does get too hot.

why's everyone always gotta dog on people for buying stuff that they wouldnt. Not everyone is as jaded as most on here. Some guys just need a "little" low end fill. That being said I couldnt tell you nor could anyone on here tell you if your amp is getting too hot. Find a local store (not big box) and inquire there after you have given the amp enough time to heat up. Unless you have a ir temp gun and then you could let us know just how hot its getting. Are you running 4 ga power too? What kind of vehicle? I would double check the connections at the battery just to make sure things are tight. Dont forget to check the ground connections at the battery and fuse holder as well. Ive seen some cheapo fuse holders cause similar issues.

yes I am running 4 gauge power also. Its a 99 toyota tacoma, I have checked everything and everything seems to be okay I haven't had any problems with anything yet, I just noticed the amp was getting very hot but I can't seem to find anything out of the ordinary. ground connections are tight and clean. I did turn the bass boost off on the amp and that seemed to help and it improved the sound as well. After using this set up for a little over a week i'm beginning to be unsatisfied with the sub it sounds good but i don't get that earth shattering bass like i want.

what kind of recommendations do y'all have for a 10" sub that would work well behind my seat in a very compact situation, I will eventually want a new sub something more powerful and can handle the lower bass

I have a pioneer IB-Flat and it hits good for a shallow mount if your cramped for space I would definitely recommend it. It is a 300w RMS sub so you would need a better amp though yours might do for the time being I'm running a Pyramid Arctic series PB717x pushes the sub good for the price but I plan on upgrading soon

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.