Is my local car shop morons or just trying to sell me something??

Never heard of it, but thanks for the link, I'll check it out! The sized box that they built me is perfect for me. I have 2 kids, so I kinda need trunk space and the box they built for my 2 current 12" is perfect size (still leaves room for some groceries).
My current system is as loud bass wise, altho his SQ sounds awesome.
Well shoot, if you want a sub that will get low and retain decent SQ on a budget, also check out the RSd12. It'll handle a clean 900-1000w rms and sound damn good doing it. There's a few reviews that'll pop up with a quick google search.

i would advise the big 3 and a small batt for your gf's car, if i remember the audiobahn 2300 HCT is a high current amp and would require the extra batt, deffinately want to be on the safe side with her car...

again like a couple people said in the last thread you posted you should seriously consider doing it yourself. it seems like itd be a terribly hard thing to do but its not. this thread has plenty of guys that would help you with any questions you have.

im just saying this because i have had experience with shops around here that are "good shops" and unless you buy all their stuff and go back to them every couple months they put their trainee on your install and you never know how its going to turn out. paying 250 bucks for a box that cost maybe 35-40 in materials for really no reason *****.

and fyi sounds like your friends are just morons that dont know the difference between + and - nor know how to simply disconnect the battery when they are installing....

It really isnt that hard, just have some confidence that the knowledge on here has got your back. I wouldn't return to any shop that I suspect is cheating me, or lying to me. Let his business drown in the poor ethics he's created.

If anything, take out that audiobahn amp and put in the JL. Get your Fi sub soon, make your own box, or pay someone on here. Then enjoy what you deserve, a system that won't kill your car, without being harassed by a salesman.

I figured this out, as I no longer wanted to pay 50 bucks to people to do a 10 minute job on my car. My one buddy was like "you cheapskate" cuz he's afraid to void his over priced precious warranties. Do it.

So after reading this thread, I've learned a few things.

First of all, I guess going to car audio shops asking for advice is a no no.

I wish most car audio shops would be more trust-worthy instead of always trying to trick customers into buying other things. Freaken sales people. It's because of them I'll never walk into one or buy things from them. It would be too risky of being scammed.

Finally,

Get bjfish to design a box and build for you for around $150-$200
it looks like bjfish is the guy if anyone ever needs a box built. I've seen many people throw his name up on this forum when a box is mentioned.

Well shoot, if you want a sub that will get low and retain decent SQ on a budget, also check out the RSd12. It'll handle a clean 900-1000w rms and sound damn good doing it. There's a few reviews that'll pop up with a quick google search.
what about the rsdc12....supposed to have better power handling..but i dunno a price:confused:

I've decided to get the FI Q. Perfect price and fits my amp nicely I think.
For the JL 1000/1 should I get the BP power option? Also, should I get Dual 1 ohm, or Dual 2? I don't mind spending extra if it increases its value or versatility.

As for doing it myself. I'm too inexperienced to handle all of what I need. I just think it's worth paying the 100-150$ to guarantee that nothing gets broken I guess. As long as it's finally done with, I'll be happy.

id actually not let them hook anything up myself, with that comment of the amp just happening to blow.

i wouldnt let them touch your amp settings just due to being afraid of the fact that they'll tune it improperly so you'll have to come back and they'll be like "told you that **** ******" when they obviously know it was their doing.

be very wary of what goes on with your stuff, i have a feeling the salesman are trying all they can to **** you over.

It seems that the salesman you talked to is ignorant.

Sadly, alot of salesmen are just like him. I work at a shop and hate when people come in brainwashed by other shops.

Here is what you should do:

-Go ahead and buy the Q. Get DVC 1ohm for your 1000/1.

-Design a box or have someone that actually knows WTF they are doing design one.

-Bring the sub,amp, and box design up to the shop.

-Simply tell them: I want this box built. Then install this sub and amp in my car.

-Tell them you want to gain on the amp set the way it tells you on JL's site.

That should cut out all the BS w/ them telling you the way it should be. You can have it the way YOU want it.

Nothing like the accumulated knowledge and experience of this community! Yeah, there's some a-holes here but between a good question and looking over previous posts via the search engine, you can dig out a lot of good info here.

Rick

im sure its really not that this shop doesnt know what they are doing nor do they think FI is garbage. i think they know exactly what they are doing. most people would just take the shop guys word for it . chances are if you didnt know about this forum you would of just taken the shop guys word for it, spent an ass load of money and thought you had gods gift to car audio.

seriously though, it sounds like all your wires are ran so the hard part is really done. hook the positive to the positive and the negative to the negative and ur good to go. this stuff really isnt rocket science

Yeah I think you're right. With everything that's happened so far I'm getting worried. I thought at first it was just incompetance, because the owner is the knowledgable one and he's hardly ever there. But with this last salesman obviously lying, and my amp coming up broken (not 100% that they did it tho) I think I'm better off just assuming they're not safe. The only thing they're supposed to do tomorrow is install the 2nd batt and do the big 3 for me. I wasn't gonna do the sub upgrade til later anyways, so I'll just get everything ready and find a way to get it done without them. Preferably somewhere I can watch, if I have to pay someone. At least I'll know nothing intentional is done.
I don't see how being that way would be good for business though. They've made plenty off of me just off labor alone. I really hope their newest salesman isn't screwing the business over with his scandelous sales tactics. I almost want to take the FI there, just to show them that they were wrong, and that I don't have to buy a 750$ sub to sound that good. But then again, I don't want them trying to prove a point to me either.
id let them install that i guess, theres not much you can really screw up there.

but make sure when you go to pick it up etc, make sure you have them go over what work they did with you. big 3 and the like.

keep in mind it shouldnt be more than maybe 15ft of wire total(if that even mine was 10ft), so make sure they dont try to screw you on that.

just be very aware of what they're charging you for because they're obviously trying to just make a sale.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.