JL Audio 300/4 vs Planet Audio BB175.4b

turbognx
10+ year member

I'm looking for opinions on each of these 4 channels. I found a used JL for about the same price as a refurbished Planet Audio. Would the power be about the same (I know the Planet is rated more watts)? Any notable difference in SQ? Any features that would make one of them more desirable? I'll be using it to drive some ID CTX comps and ID coaxials.

What I really want to know is, does the JL at 75W per ch have enough power to do the ID CTX65cs justice. I've heard they need a good amount of power.

I'm looking for opinions on each of these 4 channels. I found a used JL for about the same price as a refurbished Planet Audio. Would the power be about the same (I know the Planet is rated more watts)? Any notable difference in SQ? Any features that would make one of them more desirable? I'll be using it to drive some ID CTX comps and ID coaxials.
i found out from ces planet audio is from the same company as boss audio so i would go with the jl audio amp for quality

http://myces.bdmetrics.com/CDT-6710625/BOSS-Audio-Systems/Details.aspx

I would say go for head room on this one.

JL's obviously a nice amp, but the power per dollar ratio is just too good with these full range class D's to ignore IMO. I have an amp similar to the PA (Lanzar 4x400d) and it is very powerful especially considering its size and weight, and seems to be quite efficient.

There may be one hang up -- some of these designs have been reported as having a high frequency noise issue. My Lanzar does, and I've come cross one owner of a PA that does, but others have referred to it as "silent".

Other than that it runs strong and reliable, no turn on pop, no sq issues you might wonder about with a class D. Very cool little amps.

serioudly head room has next to nothing to do with SQ..id advise you spend thr 400 on the SS ref or or arc KS 300.4

superior to both...
Of couse, because it goes without saying that expensive watts always sound better than cheap ones.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

simply put there lower distortion designs and device tolerences are much tighter..

the SS is rated @14.4, 160x4 is plenty..

the arc is rated @ 12.5 its about 115x4@14.4

that still under 1%thd.. where as the PA has a lower S/N, DF, SR, and junk for xovers..

while the tripath chips amplify swiching bandwidth they still use higher thd and lower dampening/slew rate transistors/techniques..

for the bones its hard to beat the arc and SS ref lines

I'd love to have an SS or ARC. But I was comparing a used JL and a refurbished Planet, both in the $130-$180 range. The amps you suggested are obviously far superior, there also $300 more. Maybe I'll just get the MB Quart DSC4125 like everyone keeps suggesting. I just wish they were'nt so big and ugly.

I'd love to have an SS or ARC. But I was comparing a used JL and a refurbished Planet, both in the $130-$180 range. The amps you suggested are obviously far superior, there also $300 more. Maybe I'll just get the MB Quart DSC4125 like everyone keeps suggesting. I just wish they were'nt so big and ugly.
i hsve a sundown 100.4 for sale.. if your interested.. its in excellent condition.. i want to get a SS4.920 or zap ref 1000.4 if you want to make an offer pm me.. its a step above the planet and about 30 watts per channel stronger vs the jl..

its perfect for you app...

I've used both amps. Actually, went from a Jello 300/4 to a PA BB175.4B and back. (I am currently looking at other options, because I am going from a 2-way active system to 2.1-way active and thus need 5 channels of amp. Neither one will fit in my intended space with a subwoofer amp as well.)

As far as "sound quality," there was no difference between the two, beyond any possible gains that may be gleaned from the Jello's more flexible on-board crossover. Neither one was a high-noise device, and they had the same frequency response by my indirect measurements (of the system, not just the amp). By the same token, I cannot say that the PA was perceptibly the slightest bit more powerful, despite the disparity in the ratings. (Note that I use all nominally 8Ω drivers.)

Why did I switch back to the JL, then? One of the terminals in my PA managed to strip itself after some time in the install. (The terminal threads, not the screw.) Yes, it's an easy fix, but not as easy as just changing the amp out! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif That said, my 300/4 also had a build-quality flaw. The original terminal screws were too soft, and the Phillips heads were easy to strip. Jello realized the problem and sent me out their newer, better hex-head screws. Overall, there's no question in my mind that top-to-bottom the Jello is the better-built device, though considering I paid a couple multiples of what I paid for the 175.4 for the 300/4 and Jello is a solid company, that should not be a shock. I doubt a decade hence you'll see many 175.4's, but 300/4's will be all over the place just as PPI Art Series and older McIntosh amps, etc., are scarcely less common today than they were in 2000 or even 1995. Still, I would say that unless the crossover of the Jello, which is superior to that of the PA in every way, offering greater range of adjustment and a choice between 2d- or 4th- order slopes, is a factor for your install, then ultimately just pick the one that, for whatever reason, you "like" better.

Thanks a ton DS-21. Theres nothing like getting input from someone thats had experience with both amps. I'll be using the X-overs that come with the speakers so the ones in the amp are'nt really a big factor in my choice. Or am I missing something?

I missed in your OP that you'd be using them for front and rear speakers. In that case, both should work well, though you might find that the steeper slopes available on the 300/4 allow cleaner integration with your sub. Or you might not. I don't remember if the 175.4's crossover is 2d or 3d order.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.