Kicker subs making odd rattling noise

Participant count
  • Participant list

blinds

Recently my subs have been making a weird vibrating/rattling noise, as if the cone was hitting the side of the box, or the box is just vibrating against itself. I'm not sure what the problem is, but if you press against the ring around the cone it seems to contain it. It's only gotten worse, and now just pressing on the box anywhere makes it less noticeable, but it's so bad now it doesn't stop entirely. It happened after a five hour drive home from college, so I don't know if something may have been knocked loose or something, but its kind of hard to look inside the box, the only way I could is taking the subs out. I haven't changed any of the amp's settings at all, or any settings really.

I've uploaded a video of it on YouTube; not the best video but you get the idea that its making a sound it shouldn't. And subs usually aren't that far up, just moved them up for the purpose of the video.

I was considering taking one sub out at a time and playing it to see if just one of the subs was the problem, but I wanted to post on here before starting to take it apart. I've tried googling the problem, but honestly I don't know what to search. At first I thought it might be clipping, but now the box itself is just vibrating violently.

Subs: Amazon.com: Kicker CompVR 07DCVR122 2-Ohm 2 Subwoofers In-Vent Box: Electronics

Amp: Amazon.com: Kenwood KAC-9104D 1800-Watt Max Power 1 ohm Capability Class D Mono Power Amplifier with Variable LPF: Electronics

Video:

Sounds like your mdf is split woofers sometimes break boxes that aren't braced well. You need to take the woofers out put all settings to the left turn volume to 1-3 and play the woofers out of the box if it does rattle then it's your box. If it does rattle it's a voice coil happened to my friend withthr same sub but the vibration wasn't that loud.

Well, took the subs out of the box and looked around as best I can, and I think I found the problem.

When I push up on the top board of the box it creaks, and if you feel where it connects to the front board it comes loose a little. Seems like the glue just came loose. Would just drilling a wood screw through it or trying to glue it myself fix the problem?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.