KnuKonceptz claimed ampacity

AC current is used in your house.DC current is used in your car.

The two are different //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
really? splain this difference to me Lucy.

I fully understand. If they state their wire is good for a certain amount of current, they should assume I'm gonna run it balls to the wall. They have no idea what type of music I listen to, nor the equipment I use to power it. I may well prefer test tones all day. A wire's stated ampacity is a maximum that can be sustained. Assuming some arbitrary "real world" amperage based upon a presumed (assumed) efficiency is ludicrous. They obviously have their niche with people who know no better. I should start selling wire. I have reels of #10 that are good for um, 150 amps, yeah 150 amps. Wanna buy some? If you want it in red it's good for 200 amps, honest.
Point is... it doesn't matter. The wire can handle in excess of 300amp for fractions of a second at a time. No problem.

Same reason I've never blown a 300amp ANL fuse on the 1/0 input of my amp feeding 4kilowatts.

nG

The code says I need 300MCM wire to carry this much current, if I could use your 1/0 I could save a LOT of money in wire and conduit. Please let me knu. Response:

The 12V industry is completely different. This cable is not designed to be used to service your home.

We do not claim this cable to be rated for use in construction applications
your whole argument is pointless. quit trying to be a cheapass and spend the money on a product designed for your needs. go to home depot and argue with them.

A 1/0 wire is a 1/0 wire regardless of the length, as long as there's no insulation on it for you to burn up. The longer a run of wire is, the more resistance it has. This does lead to a larger voltage drop. It also leads to more heat. High resistance + current=heat. So if you have a short run of 1/0 and it has a high grade insulation on it, it can possibly handle 800 plus amps. If it were a very long run, the resistance of the wire would be much higher and heat up. It would melt the insulation on the wire more than likely causing a fire. Length has everything to do with the amount of current a wire can handle safely.
You have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. I squared R loss (heat) is constant throughout the length of the wire (2' or 20000' long). 1/0 can't handle 800 amps.

i'd wage a few bucks to say that 1/0 can handle in excess of 6-800a in SHORT PERIODS...not constant....which is EXACTLY why ratings for car audio use are different then commercial.

Quit being a tool. go argue with kicker with their 300a hyperflex rating. they're used to dealing with jackoffs.

Let me tell you a secret...

The masses of CA don't care. We know we cannot run 800a constant, and we don't always know our current draw but, what we do know is amps are rarely ran at their peak output. Even during tones.

Failboat.jpg

Why are you targeting Knu and not every single other wire manufacturer out there? Do you have something against them?
Also, it seems as though you're indirectly claiming that none of the 3kw amps on the market can do close to their rated power without having two 1/0 power inputs, right? Even amps that have been bench tested to do said wattage with one 1/0 input? According to you, that would be completely impossible.
I am not targeting Knu by any means. It frankly started with the BS ampacity claims I read here (not by Knu). Knu was referenced as a high quality wire by several people. I visited their site. Their claims matched the unrealistic claims I read here. Their CSR made matters worse (greater than 800 amps for 1/0). I have no doubt other manufacturers are also taking candy from children. I have no idea where the 3kW amp reference came from. Yes, I certainly have doubts. When so much BS is blatant, the truth line becomes suspect.

Also, I'd like to know why senor douchefeg didn't reply to the link posted from weldingsupply where they list different ampacities for different lengths.
Um, I think that may be for supplying a welder? They take voltage drop into account for long distances. not 20 fricken feet as in a car. senor dumbass

You have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. I squared R loss (heat) is constant throughout the length of the wire (2' or 20000' long). 1/0 can't handle 800 amps.
Sure, because wire length has nothing to do at all with how much current it can handle. Sure the heat is constant through out the length of the wire. All that means is the wire will heat evenly, assuming the metal is pure. A longer wire will have more resistance which in turn will heat up more. A longer wire will not handle as much current as a shorter wire of the same gauge.

Wait, isn't this the same 16 year old troll who was claiming to be 50 and saying that you only needed like 2 watts to make a system that would be way louder than a 1000 watt car system and that 100 watts would be apocalyptic?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.